Rule 4765-20-12 | Fire safety inspector and hazard recognition officer continuing education.
(A) An applicant who wishes to renew a fire safety inspector certificate shall complete twenty-four hours of continuing education training within the three year certification cycle as set forth in this rule.
(B) Fire safety inspector continuing education requirements shall include any combination of the following training:
(1) The theory of fire code enforcement;
(2) Enforcement of fire codes;
(3) Life safety systems of buildings and uses;
(4) The safe use and maintenance of facilities, buildings, and uses which are subject to the state of Ohio fire code;
(5) The safe handling of materials which pose a fire hazard;
(6) Fire code administration;
(7) Legal method of code enforcement;
(8) Legal rights of landlords and tenants under federal, state, and local laws;
(9) The application, installation, use, and interpretation of the NFPA standards;
(10) Other training directly related to performance of fire safety inspection duties.
(C) An applicant who wishes to renew a hazard recognition officer certificate shall complete six hours of continuing education training within the three year certification cycle as set forth in this rule.
(D) Hazard recognition officer continuing education requirements shall include any combination of the following training:
(1) Means of egress;
(2) Flammable and combustible liquids storage, use, and handling;
(3) Combustible waste material handling and storage;
(4) Open flames requirements and restrictions;
(5) Hazards to firefighters;
(6) Fire protection system access and clearances;
(7) Fire separation integrity including fire doors and fire walls;
(8) Commercial cooking hazards;
(9) Basic electrical equipment and wiring hazards; and
(10) Other training directly related to performance of hazard recognition officer duties.
(E) Fire safety inspector and hazard recognition officer continuing education shall be provided by or under the auspices of institutions of higher education, recognized state agencies, chartered training programs, fire schools, fire training academies, or a fire department operated by federal, state, county, or local government, or non-profit organizations.
(F) Continuing education shall be approved by a program director of a chartered program or by the applicant's fire chief.
(G) If a new fire code is adopted by the state of Ohio, a fire safety inspector and hazard recognition officer shall attend continuing education of not less than four hours related to the new fire code. The continuing education shall be completed within six months of the adoption of the new fire code. The fire safety inspector and hazard recognition officer shall maintain documentation of completion of this update.
(1) The four hours shall be completed in accordance with paragraphs (E) and (F) of this rule; and
(2) The four hours may be counted towards the requirements set forth in paragraphs (A) and (C) of this rule.
(H) Routine duties such as responding to emergencies, performing station duties and vehicle maintenance, conducting fire safety inspections, participating in civic events, and other daily or weekly job duties shall not be credited toward fire safety inspector or hazard recognition officer continuing education.
(I) No applicant shall receive credit for more than twelve hours of continuing education training in any one calendar day.
(J) No applicant shall receive continuing education credit for the identical online training class, taken more than once per calendar year.
(K) Extension of time to complete fire safety inspector or hazard recognition officer continuing education shall be permitted as set forth in rule 4765-20-13 of the Administrative Code.
(L) Credit for continuing education received during the period of an extension, up to and including the date the renewal application is submitted, shall not be used as credit for continuing education in the subsequent certification cycle.
(M) The holder of a fire safety inspector or hazard recognition officer certificate shall maintain records of continuing education required by this rule for the current and previous certification cycles.
(1) Such records shall include the course title, date, hours claimed, and who provided the training.
(2) Upon request, documentation shall be provided to the division within the time parameters set forth by the executive director.
(N) For the purpose of continuing education approval, fire chief means a certified firefighter who has been designated as the head of a fire department or private firefighting brigade.
(O) Military provisions related to fire safety inspector and hazard recognition officer continuing education:
(1) The division shall consider relevant education, training, or service completed by the certificate holder as a member of the armed forces in determining whether the certificate holder has fulfilled required continuing education.
(2) In accordance with section 5903.12 of the Revised Code and this chapter of the Administrative Code, a certificate holder who has served on active duty during the current or prior certification cycle may request an extension of time to complete the current continuing education as set forth in rule 4765-20-13 of the Administrative Code.
(3) All provisions of paragraph (O) of this rule shall apply to any certificate holder who is the spouse of a person who has served on active duty when that service resulted in the certificate holder's absence from this state.
(P) An applicant for renewal who has a fire safety inspector or hazard recognition officer certification cycle that is less than thirty-six months shall complete the pro-rated continuing education requirements as set forth in rule 4765-20-16 of the Administrative Code.