Skip to main content
Back To Top Top Back To Top
This website publishes administrative rules on their effective dates, as designated by the adopting state agencies, colleges, and universities.

Rule 5101:2-42-19.2 | Requirements for provision of independent living services to young adults who have emancipated.


(A) Upon request, each public children services agency (PCSA) is to provide services and support to former foster care recipients, who have emancipated from PCSA custody on or after the age of eighteen from a substitute care placement, until their twenty-first birthday pursuant to 45 CFR 1355.20, (2012).

(B) A PCSA is to evaluate the strengths and needs with the young adult, assess the young adult's own efforts to achieve self-sufficiency and availability of community resources.

(C) Based on the evaluation required by paragraph (B) of this rule, the PCSA and the young adult is to develop a mutually agreed upon plan in Ohio statewide automated child welfare information system (Ohio SACWIS) for the provision of services. A copy of the young adult services plan is to be signed by the young adult and a representative of the agency.

(D) The PCSA is to include or update contact information in the plan in Ohio SACWIS on any of the young adult's connections with significant others, such as former resource families, friends, adult supporters, mentors and extended family members. The contact information is to include names, addresses and phone numbers, whenever known and is to to be documented in Ohio SACWIS.

(E) The PCSA is to make available the following independent living services to young adults aged eighteen to twenty-one including, but not limited to:

(1) Academic support.

(2) Post secondary educational support.

(3) Career preparation.

(4) Employment programs or vocational training.

(5) Budget and financial management.

(6) Housing, education and home management.

(7) Health education and risk prevention.

(8) Mentoring including being matched with a screened and trained adult for a one-on-one relationship involving the two meeting on a regular basis. Mentoring can be short-term, but may also support the development of a long-term relationship.

(9) Supervision services for a young adult living in a supervised independent living arrangement including a young adult living independently under a supervised arrangement that is paid for or provided by the county agency.

(10) Room and board financial assistance including room and board financial assistance that is a payment paid for or provided by the county agency for room and board, rent deposits, utilities, and other household start-up expenses.

(11) Education financial assistance such as a payment paid for or provided by the county agency for education or training, allowances to purchase textbooks, uniforms, computers, and other educational supplies; tuition assistance; scholarships; payment for educational preparation and support services, and payment for GED and other educational tests. The financial assistance also includes vouchers for tuition or vocational education or tuition waiver programs paid for or provided by the county agency.

(12) Other financial assistance including direct cash assistance for any other payments made or provided by the county agency to help the young adult gain independence.

(F) The PCSA may only use up to thirty per cent of the Chafee federal independent living allocation for room and board pursuant to rule 5101:9-6-35 of the Administrative Code. Bridges participants receiving Title IV-E maintenance are not eligible for the Chafee or temporary assistance to needy families (TANF) independent living (IL) room and board allocation. Room and board may include but is not limited to:

(1) Assistance with rent.

(2) Initial rent deposit.

(G) The PCSA is not permitted to use any independent living allocation for room and board for youth under the age of eighteen or past the young adult's twenty-first birthday.

(H) The PCSA is to report applicable independent living services provided to young adults as required in rule 5101:2-33-70 of the Administrative Code, according to Ohio SACWIS reporting requirements.

(I) The PCSA is to provide a copy of the agency's grievance policy as required by rule 5101:2-33-20 of the Administrative Code to each young adult requesting independent living services from the agency.

(J) The PCSA is to assist young adults age twenty-one years old and under in completing the national youth in transition database (NYTD) survey in accordance with 45 C.F.R. 1356.82(a)(2)(i)(2008). The PCSA may utilize independent living allocation to provide young adults with incentives to complete the survey.

Last updated May 1, 2024 at 8:57 AM

Supplemental Information

Authorized By: 5103.03, 5101.141, 5153.166
Amplifies: 5101.141, 5103.03, 5153.16
Five Year Review Date: 5/1/2029
Prior Effective Dates: 11/12/2002, 10/9/2006, 10/1/2009, 5/10/2014, 12/11/2017, 3/1/2019, 4/4/2022