Rule 5120-9-30 | The office of the chief inspector.
(A) Pursuant to section 5120.06 of the Revised Code, the director shall establish the office of the chief inspector and prescribe the powers and duties of said division. The chief inspector shall serve as a deputy director, in the unclassified service, equivalent in status to all other deputy directors within the department of rehabilitation and correction. The chief inspector shall report directly to the director and assistant director of the department of rehabilitation and correction.
(B) The office of the chief inspector shall have sufficient centrally located staff to assist in carrying out the responsibilities of the office. The chief inspector shall have the authority to screen, interview and select support staff, assistant chief inspectors and other designees.
(C) The chief inspector and designee(s) have the authority and responsibility to:
(1) Administer all aspects of the grievance procedure for inmates;
(2) Render dispositions on inmate grievance appeals;
(3) Render dispositions on grievances against the wardens and/or inspectors of institutional services;
(4) Participate in the selection process of institutional inspectors, assistant inspectors, investigators, assistant investigators and accreditation coordinators, including screening, interviewing and selection;
(5) Functionally supervise institutional inspectors, assistant inspectors, investigators, assistant investigators and accreditation coordinators; including participation in annual performance reviews for such positions;
(6) Initiate and supervise continuous training for departmental staff to maintain an active awareness and understanding of the grievance procedure for inmates and prepare a lesson plan for such purpose;
(7) Ensure that all laws, rules, and regulations of the department and subordinate facilities are being followed and applied fairly throughout the system and report to the director or assistant director any noncompliance including recommendations for corrective action;
(8) Administer and supervise internal and external audit procedures;
(9) Monitor and provide input relative to any proposed new or revised administrative rules, policies or protocols of the department;
(10) Coordinate the revision, dissemination, annual review and maintenance of departmental policies;
(11) Monitor, coordinate, conduct, and/or initiate internal administrative investigations;
(12) Submit to the director and the chairperson of the correctional institution inspection committee an annual report, which shall include, from all institutions, statistical information as to the number and nature of all inmate grievances processed during the report period, their disposition and the status of all pending grievances; and
(13) Perform any other duties and responsibilities established by departmental policy and/or as directed or approved by the director or assistant director.
(D) The chief inspector and designee(s) shall have all necessary authority to perform the required duties and responsibilities of this rule. The chief inspector and designee(s) shall have full investigative powers and complete access at any time to all facilities, offices, or installations under the jurisdiction of the department of rehabilitation and correction. All records, files, documentation, and any other information shall be available to the chief inspector and designee(s) upon request. Any employee or inmate of the department who is found to have knowingly, deliberately or maliciously obstructed an investigation conducted by the chief inspector's office will be subject to disciplinary action upon the recommendation of the chief inspector or designee.
Last updated March 24, 2023 at 10:49 AM