Rule 5120:1-8-02 | Classification.
(A) (Important) Each full service jail shall have a written inmate classification system that specifies the criteria and procedures for determining and changing the classification of inmates to determine the level of custody required, special needs, housing assignment and participation in programming. Each minimum security jail, as defined in paragraph (A)(4) of rule 5120:1-7-02 of the Administrative Code, shall have a written inmate classification system that limits inmates housed in the jail to those sentenced or transferred by order of a judge for a traffic offense, misdemeanor or felony of the fourth or fifth degree that are not offenses of violence as defined in division (A)(9) of section 2901.01 of the Revised Code. The classification system shall include the evaluation of each inmate to determine whether the inmate is suitable to be housed in the minimum security jail. Determination to transfer an inmate from the minimum security jail shall be made by the jail administrator or designee based on the best interests of the inmate, staff and/or the safe, secure operation of the jail.
(B) Each full service jail shall have written policies and procedures, and practices which evidence, compliance with the following standards:
(1) (Important) Male and female inmates are housed separately by sight, touch and out of range of normal conversation with each other.
(2) (Important) Violent and non-violent inmates are not placed in the same cell or unsupervised areas together.
(3) (Important) Male and female inmates are supervised if placed together for purposes of programming, transportation or other similar activities.
(4) (Important) Juvenile and adult inmates are separated in a manner consistent with sections 2151.311 and 2152.26 of the Revised Code.
(5) (Important) Jails using inmate workers shall evaluate and select workers based on established criteria.
(6) Inmates participating in work or educational release programs shall be housed separately from the general population.
(C) (Important) Juveniles shall not be held in a minimum security jail.
(D) (Important) Inmates, when placed in general population, shall be:
(1) Assigned a bed;
(2) Provided with a mattress, blanket, bed linens and towels;
(3) Provided with articles to maintain personal hygiene (toothbrush, toothpaste, feminine hygiene items and soap).