Rule 5139-37-06 | Training and staff development.
(A) The following standards are mandatory:
(1) Each facility will have a written policy and procedure providing that all direct care staff receive a minimum forty hours of orientation and pre-service training before assuming independent responsibility for their work assignment. Those forty hours are to include the core areas of:
(a) Facility personnel manual and operating policies and procedures manual
(b) CPR / first aid / AED
(c) Emergency procedures
(d) Verbal intervention techniques / response to resistance
(e) Mandatory reporting of child abuse
(f) The Prison Rape Elimination Act
(2) Each facility will have a written policy and procedure that all trainers and presenters for mandatory trainings are qualified and have any of the following: a degree, licensure or certification. All other trainings must have trainers or presenters who have at a minimum, relevant verifiable experience in the topic material to be presented.
(3) Each facility will have a written policy and procedure requiring direct care staff to receive annual training of forty hours in addition to the orientation training.
(4) Each facility will have a written policy and procedure providing that all supervisors receive forty hours of training in the area of fundamental skills for supervisors and on relevant Ohio administrative rules within the first year of appointment.
(5) Each facility will have a written policy and procedure providing that all facility directors/deputy directors receive forty hours of training within the first year of appointment.
(B) The following standards are recommended:
(1) Training programs should have curriculums that include interactive training and job shadowing components.
(2) Written policies and procedures require that all employees, other than direct care staff, receive at least sixteen hours minimum orientation training and, minimally, an additional sixteen hours annually, appropriate to their work assignment.
(3) Training on adolescent development.