Rule 5501:2-2-04 | Directional and official advertising devices.
Directional and official advertising devices are not required to have a permit under section 5516.10 of the Revised Code or rule 5501:2-2-05 of the Administrative Code.
(A) All directional signs shall conform to the following requirements:
(1) Must contain only the identification of the activity and directional information.
(2) Cannot exceed thirty-two square feet in area.
(3) Must comply with spacing and lighting requirements contained in rule 5501:2-2-02 of the Administrative Code.
(4) Must not use logos.
(B) All official signs shall conform to the following requirements:
(1) The sign must be erected and maintained by a public official or agency.
(2) The sign must be erected within the territorial jurisdiction or zoning jurisdiction of the public official or agency. The official or agency must exercise some form of governmental authority to enact or administer law over the area upon which the sign is located.
(3) The sign must be erected and maintained pursuant to specific authority of statute.
(4) The sign must be erected for the purpose of carrying out or furtherance of an official duty or responsibility.
(5) The historical marker sign must be authorized by state law and erected by state or local government agencies or non-profit historical societies.
(C) All public service signs shall conform to the following requirements:
(1) The sign must identify the donor, sponsor, or contributor of said sign;
(2) The sign must contain a public service message, which shall occupy not less than fifty percent of its area;
(3) The sign must contain no other message;
(4) The sign must be authorized or approved by city, county, or state law, regulation, or ordinance, and at places approved by the city, county, or state agency controlling the highway involved; and
(5) The sign may not exceed thirty two square feet in area. Not more than one sign shall face in any one direction at each location. No such sign shall be placed within five hundred feet of another public service sign.
(D) Service club and religious notices shall not exceed sixteen square feet in area. A bank of service signs will be permitted at one location provided the aggregate size of the service signs shall not exceed one hundred fifty square feet in area, and, no one dimension shall exceed twenty feet.
Last updated March 9, 2023 at 12:29 PM