Rule 901:12-8-02 | Management.
(A) Tusk trimming is an acceptable procedure and, if performed, must be performed in a humane manner taking care to cut the tusks level with the gums without damaging the gums.
(B) All swine housing systems must:
(1) Have a stocking density that allows all pigs to easily lie down fully on their side at the same time without having to lie on each other and be able to easily stand back up at all stages of production, and in addition all animals can access feed and water without excessive competition;
(2) Be regularly inspected and maintained by the responsible party to verify that all mechanical devices and the water and feed delivery system are in working condition;
(3) Permit visual inspection of animals:
(a) Light intensity must be adequate for observation during inspection; and,
(b) If natural light is not available, artificial light must be provided for at the least the normal period of daylight hours;
(4) Allow sows and boars in stalls or pens to do each of the following:
(a) Lie down fully on its side in full lateral recumbency without the head having to rest on a raised feeder and have the rear quarters coming in contact with the back of the stall or pen at the same time; and,
(b) Stand without the back touching the top of the stall or pen.
(C) Outdoor housing for all stages of production must provide:
(1) A regular, ample supply of bedding in cold weather;
(2) Access to facilities or natural features that provide reasonable protection from adverse weather conditions and predators; and,
(3) A method to facilitate thermo regulation, such as a natural wallow.
(D) Farrowing sow and piglet housing must:
(1) Be clean, dry and sanitary;
(2) Provide effective protection and appropriate thermal environment for the piglets and comfort for the sow; and
(3) Be designed to maximize neo-natal piglet welfare, and farrowing stalls can be used on all new and existing farms.
(E) All sows farrowing outdoors must be provided with:
(1) Shade for farrowing in hot weather; and,
(2) Shelter from prevailing winds and a regular, ample supply of bedding to minimize frost bite for farrowing in cold weather.
(F) Post weaning indoor housing systems must meet the following conditions:
(1) In mechanically ventilated facilities, weaned piglets must be housed in clean, dry, well-heated, draft-free facilities;
(2) Indoor housing systems that have no mechanical heating or ventilation systems must:
(a) Adequately protect pigs from direct sunlight and adverse weather conditions;
(b) Provide supplemental heat or a regular, ample supply of bedding in cold weather; and,
(c) Have water and feed supply systems that function properly and be readily accessible under all weather conditions.
(G) Indoor housing systems for breeding, gestating sows and gilts must meet the following conditions:
(1) Mixing must be done in a manner which minimizes aggression and the risk of injury;
(2) Pens for breeding should have non-slip floors and must be large enough for comfortable movement during breeding activities;
(3) Pens may be used for breeding and gestation;
(4) Gestation stalls can be used in all existing facilities until December 31, 2025; after which breeding/gestation stalls can only be used post weaning for a period of time that seeks to maximize embryonic welfare and allows for the confirmation of pregnancy;
(5) After the effective date of this rule, any new construction designed to house breeding/gestating sows, including new construction on an existing facility, must not utilize gestation stalls, except to allow sows to be housed in breeding/gestation stalls for a period of time that seeks to maximize embryonic welfare and allows for the confirmation of pregnancy;
(6) After December 31, 2025, individual stall housing will be allowed for special circumstances that jeopardizes the swines welfare. Special circumstances include but are not limited to injured, frail, thin or aggressive swine;
(7) Until December 31, 2025, any existing facility may be replaced in the case of a catastrophic event, including but not limited to fire, flood, wind or building collapse that requires new construction to replace the existing facility; and,
(8) Nothing in this rule shall be construed so as to prohibit the repair and/or maintenance of existing gestation stalls.
(H) In boar housing systems, the unnecessary mixing or the introduction of new animals into established groups must be avoided to minimize aggression and the risk of injury.