Section 2953.36 | Sealing of record of conviction exceptions.
(1) Convictions when the offender is subject to a mandatory prison term;
(2) Convictions under section 2907.02, 2907.03, 2907.04, 2907.05, 2907.06, 2907.321, 2907.322, or 2907.323, former section 2907.12, or Chapter 4506., 4507., 4510., 4511., or 4549. of the Revised Code, or a conviction for a violation of a municipal ordinance that is substantially similar to any section contained in any of those chapters, except as otherwise provided in section 2953.61 of the Revised Code;
(3) Convictions of an offense of violence when the offense is a misdemeanor of the first degree or a felony and when the offense is not a violation of section 2917.03 of the Revised Code and is not a violation of section 2903.13, 2917.01, or 2917.31 of the Revised Code that is a misdemeanor of the first degree;
(4) Convictions on or after October 10, 2007, under section 2907.07 of the Revised Code or a conviction on or after October 10, 2007, for a violation of a municipal ordinance that is substantially similar to that section;
(5) Convictions on or after October 10, 2007, under section 2907.08, 2907.09, 2907.21, 2907.22, 2907.23, 2907.31, 2907.311, 2907.32, or 2907.33 of the Revised Code when the victim of the offense was under eighteen years of age;
(6) Convictions of an offense in circumstances in which the victim of the offense was less than sixteen years of age when the offense is a misdemeanor of the first degree or a felony, except for convictions under section 2919.21 of the Revised Code;
(7) Convictions of a felony of the first or second degree;
(8) Bail forfeitures in a traffic case as defined in Traffic Rule 2.
(B) Sections 2953.31 to 2953.35 of the Revised Code apply to a conviction listed in this section if, on the date of the conviction, those sections did not apply to the conviction, but after the date of the conviction, the penalty for or classification of the offense was changed so that those sections apply to the conviction.
The Legislative Service Commission presents the text of this section as a composite of the section as amended by multiple acts of the General Assembly. This presentation recognizes the principle stated in R.C. 1.52(B) that amendments are to be harmonized if reasonably capable of simultaneous operation.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 19, 2014 – Senate Bill 143, 130th General Assembly [ View September 19, 2014 Version ]
- July 1, 2015 – Amended by House Bill 164, House Bill 53, House Bill 56, 131st General Assembly [ View July 1, 2015 Version ]
- March 23, 2016 – Amended by House Bill 56, 131st General Assembly [ View March 23, 2016 Version ]
- September 14, 2016 – Amended by House Bill 164, 131st General Assembly [ View September 14, 2016 Version ]
- April 12, 2021 – Amended by Senate Bill 10, House Bill 431, 133rd General Assembly [ View April 12, 2021 Version ]