Section 3302.036 | Report card rankings; use; exemptions.
(A) Notwithstanding anything in the Revised Code to the contrary, the department of education shall not assign an overall letter grade under division (C)(3) of section 3302.03 of the Revised Code for any school district or building for the 2014-2015, 2015-2016, or 2016-2017 school years, may, at the discretion of the state board of education, not assign an individual grade to any component prescribed under division (C)(3) of section 3302.03 of the Revised Code, and shall not rank school districts, community schools established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, or STEM schools established under Chapter 3326. of the Revised Code under section 3302.21 of the Revised Code for those school years. The report card ratings issued for the 2014-2015, 2015-2016, or 2016-2017 school years shall not be considered in determining whether a school district or a school is subject to sanctions or penalties. However, the report card ratings of any previous or subsequent years shall be considered in determining whether a school district or building is subject to sanctions or penalties. Accordingly, the report card ratings for the 2014-2015, 2015-2016, or 2016-2017 school years shall have no effect in determining sanctions or penalties, but shall not create a new starting point for determinations that are based on ratings over multiple years.
(B) The provisions from which a district or school is exempt under division (A) of this section shall be the following:
(1) Any restructuring provisions established under this chapter, except as required under the "No Child Left Behind Act of 2001";
(2) Provisions for the Columbus city school pilot project under section 3302.042 of the Revised Code;
(3) Provisions for academic distress commissions under former section 3302.10 of the Revised Code as it existed prior to October 15, 2015. The provisions of this section do not apply to academic distress commissions under the version of that section as it exists on or after October 15, 2015.
(4) Provisions prescribing new buildings where students are eligible for the educational choice scholarships under section 3310.03 of the Revised Code;
(5) Provisions defining "challenged school districts" in which new start-up community schools were required to be located, as prescribed in section 3314.02 of the Revised Code as it existed prior to the effective date of this amendment ;
(C) Notwithstanding anything in the Revised Code to the contrary and except as provided in Section 3 of H.B. 7 of the 131st general assembly, no school district, community school, or STEM school shall utilize at any time during a student's academic career a student's score on any assessment administered under division (A) of section 3301.0710 or division (B)(2) of section 3301.0712 of the Revised Code in the 2014-2015, 2015-2016, or 2016-2017 school years as a factor in any decision to promote or to deny the student promotion to a higher grade level or in any decision to grant course credit. No individual student score reports on such assessments administered in the 2014-2015, 2015-2016, or 2016-2017 school years shall be released, except to a student's school district or school or to the student or the student's parent or guardian.
Last updated August 12, 2021 at 3:19 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- September 17, 2014 – House Bill 487, 130th General Assembly [ View September 17, 2014 Version ]
- March 16, 2015 – House Bill 7, 131st General Assembly [ View March 16, 2015 Version ]
- October 15, 2015 – House Bill 70, House Bill 64, 131st General Assembly [ View October 15, 2015 Version ]
- September 30, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 110, 134th General Assembly [ View September 30, 2021 Version ]