Section 3701.611 | Central intake and referral system for home visiting programs.
(A) The governor shall create the help me grow advisory council in accordance with 20 U.S.C. 1441, which shall serve as the state interagency coordinating council, as described in 20 U.S.C. 1441. Members of the council shall reasonably represent the population of this state. The governor shall appoint as a member of the council a representative of a board of health of a city or general health district or an authority having the duties of a board of health under section 3709.05 of the Revised Code.
The governor shall appoint one of the council members to serve as chairperson of the council, or the governor may delegate appointment of the chairperson to the council. No member of the council representing the department of health shall serve as chairperson.
(B) The council shall meet at least once in each quarter of the calendar year. The chairperson may call additional meetings if necessary.
(C) A member of the council shall not vote on any matter that is likely to provide a direct financial benefit to that member or otherwise be a conflict of interest.
(D) The governor may reimburse members of the council for actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties, including child care for the parent representatives described in 20 U.S.C. 1441(b)(1)(A). The governor also may compensate members of the council who are not employed or who must forfeit wages from other employment when performing official council business.
(E) The department of health shall serve as the "lead agency," as described by 20 U.S.C. 1435(a)(10).
(F) The help me grow advisory council shall do all of the following:
(1) Advise and assist the department of health in the performance of the responsibilities described in 20 U.S.C. 1435(a)(10), including the following:
(a) Identification of the sources of fiscal and other support for services for early intervention programs;
(b) Assignment of financial responsibility to the appropriate agency, in accordance with 20 U.S.C. 1437(a)(2);
(c) Promotion of formal interagency agreements that define the financial responsibility of each agency for paying for early intervention services and procedures for resolving disputes;
(2) Advise and assist the department of health in the preparation and amendment of applications related to the department of health's responsibilities described in 20 U.S.C. 1435(a)(10);
(3) Advise and assist the department of education regarding the transition of toddlers with disabilities to preschool and other appropriate services;
(4) Prepare and submit an annual report to the governor, before the thirtieth day of September, on the status of early intervention programs for infants and toddlers with disabilities and their families operated within this state during the most recent fiscal year.
(G) The help me grow advisory council may advise and assist the department of health and the department of education regarding the provision of appropriate services for children age five and younger. The council may advise appropriate agencies about the integration of services for infants and toddlers with disabilities, and at-risk infants and toddlers and their families, regardless of whether at-risk infants and toddlers are eligible for early intervention services.
(H) The help me grow advisory council shall promote family-centered programs and services that acknowledge and support the social, emotional, cognitive, intellectual, and physical development of children and the vital role of families in ensuring the well-being and success of children.
Available Versions of this Section
- October 16, 2009 – House Bill 1 - 128th General Assembly [ View October 16, 2009 Version ]
- April 6, 2017 – Enacted by Senate Bill 332 - 131st General Assembly [ View April 6, 2017 Version ]
- September 29, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 49 - 132nd General Assembly [ View September 29, 2017 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]