Section 3702.141 | Rules may apply to existing health care facility.
(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Existing health care facility" means a health care facility that is licensed or otherwise approved to practice in this state, in accordance with applicable law, is staffed and equipped to provide health care services, and actively provides health services or has not been actively providing health services for less than twelve consecutive months.
(2) "Freestanding birthing center" means any facility in which deliveries routinely occur, regardless of whether the facility is located on the campus of another health care facility, and which is not licensed under Chapter 3711. of the Revised Code as a level one, two, or three maternity unit or a limited maternity unit.
(3) "Health care facility" means:
(a) A hospital registered under section 3701.07 of the Revised Code;
(c) A county home or a county nursing home as defined in section 5155.31 of the Revised Code that is certified under Title XVIII or XIX of the "Social Security Act," 49 Stat. 620 (1935), 42 U.S.C.A. 301, as amended;
(d) A freestanding dialysis center;
(e) A freestanding inpatient rehabilitation facility;
(f) An ambulatory surgical facility;
(g) A freestanding cardiac catheterization facility;
(h) A freestanding birthing center;
(i) A freestanding or mobile diagnostic imaging center;
(j) A freestanding radiation therapy center.
A health care facility does not include the offices of private physicians and dentists whether for individual or group practice, residential facilities licensed under section 5123.19 of the Revised Code, or an institution for the sick that is operated exclusively for patients who use spiritual means for healing and for whom the acceptance of medical care is inconsistent with their religious beliefs, accredited by a national accrediting organization, exempt from federal income taxation under section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, 100 Stat. 2085, 26 U.S.C.A. 1, as amended, and providing twenty-four hour nursing care pursuant to the exemption in division (E) of section 4723.32 of the Revised Code from the licensing requirements of Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code.
(4) "Health service" means a clinically related service, such as a diagnostic, treatment, rehabilitative, or preventive service.
(B) Section 3702.14 of the Revised Code shall not be construed to require any existing health care facility that is conducting an activity specified in section 3702.11 of the Revised Code, which activity was initiated on or before March 20, 1997, to alter, upgrade, or otherwise improve the structure or fixtures of the facility in order to comply with any rule adopted under section 3702.11 of the Revised Code relating to that activity, unless one of the following applies:
(1) The facility initiates a construction, renovation, or reconstruction project that involves a capital expenditure of at least fifty thousand dollars, not including expenditures for equipment or staffing or operational costs, and that directly involves the area in which the existing service is conducted.
(2) The facility initiates another activity specified in section 3702.11 of the Revised Code.
(3) The facility proposes to add a cardiac catheterization laboratory to an existing cardiac catheterization service.
(4) The facility proposes to add an open-heart operating room to an existing open-heart surgery service.
(5) The director of health determines, by clear and convincing evidence, that failure to comply with the rule would create an imminent risk to the health and welfare of any patient.
(C) If division (B)(3) or (4) of this section applies, any alteration, upgrade, or other improvement required shall apply only to the proposed addition to the existing service if the cost of the addition is less than the capital expenditure threshold set forth in division (B)(1) of this section.
(D) No person or government entity shall divide or otherwise segment a construction, renovation, or reconstruction project in order to evade application of the capital expenditure threshold set forth in division (B)(1) of this section.
Last updated August 13, 2021 at 4:36 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- September 10, 2012 – Amended by House Bill 487, 129th General Assembly [ View September 10, 2012 Version ]