Section 4715.421 | Temporary dental volunteer's certificate.
(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Accredited dental college" has the same meaning as in section 4715.10 of the Revised Code.
(2) "Accredited dental hygiene school" has the same meaning as in section 4715.36 of the Revised Code.
(3) "Operation" has the same meaning as in section 2305.234 of the Revised Code.
(B) Within thirty days after receiving an application for a temporary volunteer's certificate that includes all of the items listed in divisions (C)(1) and (2) of this section, the state dental board shall issue, without examination, a temporary volunteer's certificate to a person not licensed under this chapter so that the person may provide dental services in this state as a volunteer.
(C) An application for a temporary volunteer's certificate shall include both of the following:
(1) A copy of the applicant's degree from an accredited dental college or accredited dental hygiene school;
(2) One of the following, as applicable:
(a) Evidence satisfactory to the board that the applicant holds a valid, unrestricted license to practice dentistry or dental hygiene issued by a jurisdiction in the United States that licenses persons to practice dentistry or dental hygiene;
(b) Evidence satisfactory to the board that the applicant is practicing dentistry or dental hygiene in one or more branches of the United States armed services.
(D) The holder of a temporary volunteer's certificate shall not accept any form of remuneration for providing dental services pursuant to the certificate. Except in a dental emergency, the holder shall not perform any operation. The board may revoke a temporary volunteer's certificate on receiving proof satisfactory to the board that the holder has engaged in practice in this state outside the scope of the holder's certificate or that there are grounds for action against the person under section 4715.30 of the Revised Code.
(E)(1) A temporary volunteer's certificate shall be valid for a period of seven days, and may be renewed upon the application of the holder, unless the certificate was previously revoked under division (D) of this section. The board shall maintain a register of all persons who hold a temporary volunteer's certificate. The board may charge a fee not to exceed twenty-five dollars for issuing or renewing a certificate pursuant to this section.
(2) The board shall issue to each person who qualifies under this section for a temporary volunteer's certificate a wallet certificate that states that the certificate holder is authorized to provide dental services pursuant to the laws of this state. The holder shall keep the wallet certificate on the holder's person while providing dental services.
(3) The holder of a temporary volunteer's certificate issued pursuant to this section is subject to the immunity provisions in section 2305.234 of the Revised Code.
(F) The board shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code to administer and enforce this section.
(G) Not later than ninety days after the effective date of this section, the state dental board shall make available through the board's internet web site the application form for a temporary volunteer's certificate under this section, a description of the application process, and a list of all items that are required by division (C) of this section to be submitted with the application.
Last updated March 22, 2023 at 9:13 AM