Section 5751.02 | Commercial activity tax levied on taxable gross receipts.
(A) For the purpose of funding the needs of this state and its local governments, there is hereby levied a commercial activity tax on each person with taxable gross receipts for the privilege of doing business in this state. For the purposes of this chapter, "doing business" means engaging in any activity, whether legal or illegal, that is conducted for, or results in, gain, profit, or income, at any time during a calendar year. Persons on which the commercial activity tax is levied include, but are not limited to, persons with substantial nexus with this state. The tax imposed under this section is not a transactional tax and is not subject to Public Law No. 86-272, 73 Stat. 555. The tax imposed under this section is in addition to any other taxes or fees imposed under the Revised Code. The tax levied under this section is imposed on the person receiving the gross receipts and is not a tax imposed directly on a purchaser. The tax imposed by this section is an annual privilege tax for the calendar year that, in the case of calendar year taxpayers, is the annual tax period and, in the case of calendar quarter taxpayers, contains all quarterly tax periods in the calendar year. A taxpayer is subject to the annual privilege tax for doing business during any portion of such calendar year.
(B) The tax imposed by this section is a tax on the taxpayer and shall not be billed or invoiced to another person. Even if the tax or any portion thereof is billed or invoiced and separately stated, such amounts remain part of the price for purposes of the sales and use taxes levied under Chapters 5739. and 5741. of the Revised Code. Nothing in division (B) of this section prohibits:
(1) A person from including in the price charged for a good or service an amount sufficient to recover the tax imposed by this section; or
(2) A lessor from including an amount sufficient to recover the tax imposed by this section in a lease payment charged, or from including such an amount on a billing or invoice pursuant to the terms of a written lease agreement providing for the recovery of the lessor's tax costs. The recovery of such costs shall be based on an estimate of the total tax cost of the lessor during the tax period, as the tax liability of the lessor cannot be calculated until the end of that period.
Available Versions of this Section
- July 1, 2014 – House Bill 59, 130th General Assembly [ View July 1, 2014 Version ]
- July 1, 2015 – House Bill 64, 131st General Assembly [ View July 1, 2015 Version ]
- August 16, 2016 – Senate Bill 310, 131st General Assembly [ View August 16, 2016 Version ]
- July 1, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 49, 132nd General Assembly [ View July 1, 2017 Version ]
- July 18, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166, 133rd General Assembly [ View July 18, 2019 Version ]