Rule 3309-1-55 | Responsibility for health care coverage.
(A) This rule amplifies division (F) of section 3309.69 of the Revised Code.
(B) For the purpose of this rule:
(2) "Available coverage" means any of the following provided by another Ohio retirement system: a group plan, or a payment, stipend, or reimbursement provided for the purpose of obtaining medical or prescription drug coverage. Coverage shall be considered available if the individual is eligible for the coverage, regardless of whether the individual waived or declined to accept or enroll in the coverage. Coverage shall not be considered available if only provided as a dependent of another person.
(C) Except as otherwise provided in this rule, this retirement system shall be the system responsible for health care coverage for its eligible benefit recipients.
(D) An individual otherwise eligible for health care coverage from this system may not enroll in this systems coverage if the individual also has available coverage in the following circumstances:
(1) The individual is only eligible for health care coverage from this system as a dependent of an eligible benefit recipient; or
(2) The individual is an age and service retirant or disability benefit recipient in both this system and another Ohio retirement system and the benefit recipient has less service credit in this system than in the other system. Where the service credit is the same in each system, the individual may not enroll in this systems health care coverage if the employee contributions in the account upon which the benefit in this system is based are less than the employee contributions in the account upon which the benefit in the other system is based; or
(3) The individual is a survivor benefit recipient in this system and receiving an age and service retirement or disability benefit from another Ohio retirement system; or
(4) The individual is a survivor benefit recipient in both this system and another Ohio retirement system and the benefit effective date in this system is later than the benefit effective date in the other system.
(E) Each individual enrolled in health care coverage provided by this system shall notify the system of other available coverage at the time of enrollment in this systems coverage, and whenever the individual becomes eligible for any available coverage.