Section 3309.69 | Group health care coverage for eligible individuals or dependents.
(A) The school employees retirement board may establish a program to provide medical, hospital, surgical, prescription, or other health care coverage, benefits, reimbursement, or any combination thereof, to eligible individuals or dependents.
Any program established under this section shall be designed and administered by the board. In establishing a program, the board may do any of the following:
(1) Enter into an agreement with persons or government agencies authorized to do business in the state for issuance of a policy or contract of health, medical, hospital, prescription, surgical, or other health care benefits, or any combination thereof;
(2) Provide for self-insurance of risk or level of risk and provide through the self-insurance method specific benefits as authorized by the rules of the board;
(3) Provide reimbursements or subsidies to eligible participants;
(4) Make disbursements;
(5) Determine levels of coverage and costs for the program;
(6) Take any other action it considers necessary to establish and administer the program.
(B) If it establishes a health care program, the board shall establish eligibility criteria and any other requirements for participation. To be eligible, an individual must meet the criteria established by the board and be one or more of the following:
(3) A beneficiary receiving monthly benefits pursuant to section 3309.45 of the Revised Code;
(4) The beneficiary of a former member who is receiving monthly benefits pursuant to section 3309.46 of the Revised Code;
(5) A dependent, as determined under rules adopted by the board, of an individual described in divisions (B)(1) to (4) of this section.
(D)(1) The board may require payment of a premium for participation in the health care program. Participation is deemed consent for the deduction of premiums from any pension, benefit, or annuity provided under this chapter to an eligible participant.
(2) An individual who fails to pay any required premium or receives any coverage or payment to which the individual is not entitled shall pay or repay any amount due the system. If an individual fails to pay or repay an amount due, the system may withhold the amount from any pension, benefit, annuity, or payment due the individual or the individual's beneficiary under this chapter or collect the amount in any other manner provided by law.
(E) A health care program participant who is eligible for coverage under medicare part B, "Supplementary Medical Insurance Benefits for the Aged and Disabled," 42 U.S.C. 1395j, as amended, shall enroll for that coverage. The board shall, beginning the month following receipt of satisfactory evidence of the payment for coverage, make a monthly payment to the participant in an amount determined by the board for such coverage that is not less than forty-five dollars and fifty cents, except that the board shall make no payment to a participant who is not eligible for coverage under medicare part B or pay an amount that exceeds the amount paid by the recipient for the coverage.
(F) The board shall establish by rule requirements for the coordination of any coverage, payment, or benefit provided under this section or section 3309.375 of the Revised Code with any similar coverage, payment, or benefit made available to the same individual by the public employees retirement system, Ohio police and fire pension fund, state teachers retirement system, or state highway patrol retirement system.
(G) The board shall make all other necessary rules pursuant to the purpose and intent of this section.
(H) This section does not require the board to establish, maintain, offer, or continue any health care program. This section does not require the board to provide or continue access to any health care program, or any level of coverage or costs provided under the program, if the board establishes or maintains a program under this section.
Available Versions of this Section
- January 7, 2013 – Senate Bill 341 - 129th General Assembly [ View January 7, 2013 Version ]