Rule 3341-6-29 | ITS computer lab utilization.
(A) Policy statement and purpose
Information technology services (ITS) at Bowling Green state university provides computer lab facilities to support the academic, research and instructional activities of the university. The resources provided are intended for the sole use of university faculty, staff, students, and authorized users.
Authorized users should be prepared to validate their university affiliation by showing a valid BGSU ID if asked to do so at any time.
(1) Food and drink are prohibited in ITS computer labs.
(2) Report any hardware, software, or network problems as directed within the labs. Do not attempt to fix these items yourself.
(3) Only ITS lab consultants are to occupy the area behind the operations desk.
(4) The telephone at the lab consultants desk is provided for business use only. There is a public accessible phone provided within each building for general use.
(5) Computer labs are intended for instructional and official use. Commercial or business use of lab equipment is prohibited. Academic use takes precedence over recreational use; students using computers for recreational purposes will be asked to relinquish their machines if students are waiting to do class work.
(6) Noise levels must be minimized to allow clients to complete their work. Please keep talking and general noise to a reasonable level to allow others to concentrate. All ringers and alarms on such devices should be turned off or set to vibrate. Headphones are available at the desk for checkout with proper ID for clients who need to use software with audio.
(7) All lab clients are expected to understand and comply with the provisions of the United States copyright laws as they apply to computer software and corresponding documentation.
(8) The creation or use of illegal copies of software on lab equipment is prohibited.
(9) All labs are considered public forums. Materials viewed online which could be considered objectionable, offensive, or otherwise inappropriate to others in the lab are prohibited.
(a) User responsibilities
(i) Alert the lab consultant to any printer needing attention i.e. for restocking of paper/clearing of paper jam.
(ii) Take responsibility for saving your work often! Be sure to label your media with name and phone number.
(iii) Lab staff is allowed to consume food in the operations area of this lab. They are asked to do so discreetly and away from lab equipment.
(iv) Lab consultants are trained in general use and troubleshooting of basic application packages. Consultants may not be able to answer all questions regarding specific software.
Date: August 6, 2013