Skip to main content
Back To Top Top Back To Top
This website publishes administrative rules on their effective dates, as designated by the adopting state agencies, colleges, and universities.

Rule 3341-6-31 | Key issuance.


(A) Policy statement and purpose

The following policy applies to all key-holders, including faculty, administrative staff, classified staff, students, contractors, vendors, or any other persons issued university keys.

(B) Policy

When any person who possesses a university key leaves the employment or enrollment of the university, the key(s) are to be returned to campus operations so that a receipt can be issued and the final paycheck or records released. Former key holders who retain keys will be subject to police action for recovery of university property.

When key holders transfer to other positions on campus, their current keys are to be returned to campus operations and not taken with them to the new assignment. The new position will determine which keys are to be assigned. Current keys must be surrendered prior to issuance of new keys.

Key holder keys are not to be passed on to the key holders replacement; rather they will be reissued to the replacement by the campus operations key unit.

Request for key(s) are to be made by an authorized departmental representative via the BGSU key request form (available on the campus operations web page). Keys will only be issued to individuals in their own name.

Keys will not be issued in department or office names. Departments or offices who wish to manage a departmental/office key box for shared or loaned keys must seek approval from campus operations and utilize a locked key box with an approved key check-out/check-in process.

Key holders must pick up their own keys and provide a Bowling Green state university photo ID (or other legal form of photo identification) in addition to the properly authorized blue key card. The blue key card must be signed by a department chair, director, college dean or vice president before a key will be issued.

Requests for building master, sub master, Marlok or restricted keys must also be accompanied with a written justification and signature approval of the department chair, director, college dean or vice president over the area. Grand master keys exist for police use only. These keys are not available for issue at any other level.

Alarm key requests need the written approval of the department chair, director, college dean or vice president responsible for the area.

When a key holder loses a key, the unit head must request the replacement key in writing. If an assigned university key is lost or stolen, the key holder may be responsible for the replacement charge plus the cost of labor and materials to rekey and reissue keys to the affected areas and key holders. Replace charge for master or sub-master key is one hundred fifty dollars, individual key is twenty-five dollars.

Duplication of keys for any university facility or equipment is prohibited.

(1) Related policies

Additional information on the key issuance policy may be found in the administrative staff handbook and the classified staff handbook.

Date: July 1, 2014

Supplemental Information

Authorized By: 3345
Amplifies: 3345