Rule 3701-18-12 | Training and competency evaluation program curriculum criteria.
(A) An approved TCEP shall provide a combined total of at least seventy-five hours of instruction that, at minimum, addresses each of the topic areas listed in paragraphs (A)(4) and (A)(5) of this rule for at least the specified period of time and the TCEP curriculum standards prescribed by the appendix to this rule.
(1) Within each topic area, the program shall address each standard as identified in the appendix to this rule. The instruction for each standard shall be comparable to the material specified in the appendix to this rule.
(2) The curriculum shall be designed to address the day-to-day attitudes and behaviors that promote the healthy functioning of residents, both physically and emotionally, and shall focus on the restoration and maintenance of the resident in as independent as possible a status. The approved TCEP shall have as its objective the development of nurse aides who are able to do all of the following:
(a) Form a relationship, communicate, and interact competently on a one-to-one basis with residents;
(b) Demonstrate sensitivity to residents' emotional, social, and mental health needs through skillful, directed interactions;
(c) Exhibit behavior in support and promotion of residents' rights; and
(d) Demonstrate observational and documenting skills needed in the assessment of residents' health, physical condition, and well-being.
(3) The curriculum content shall address the needs of various populations such as persons with Alzheimer's disease, dementia, mental illness, or intellectual disability and non-elderly persons with other disabilities. The curriculum content also shall include consideration of ethnic, racial, and cultural factors that affect the provision of care in a long-term care facility. Facility-based TCEPs shall adapt the content of the classroom instruction and clinical experience to the facility's specific resident population or anticipated future population. A facility-based TCEP's curriculum also may include content relevant to the populations of other facilities if the program includes trainees from other facilities.
(4) Before the trainees provide any nursing or nursing-related services involving direct contact with residents, the program shall provide at least sixteen hours of classroom instruction, which may include laboratory simulation, addressing the following topic areas for at least the specified period of time:
(a) Introduction to the program - one-half hour;
(b) Communication and interpersonal skills - four and one-half hours;
(c) Infection control - two and one-half hours;
(d) Safety and emergency procedures - six and one-half hours;
(e) Promoting residents' independence - one hour; and
(f) Respecting residents' rights - one hour.
(5) The fifty-nine minimum hours of instruction after completion of the instruction required by paragraph (A)(4) of this rule shall address at least each of the topic areas listed in this paragraph for at least the specified period of time, and shall include sixteen to twenty-five hours of clinical experience. Unless the TCEP receives a variance from the director under paragraph (I) of rule 3701-18-08 of the Administrative Code, the clinical experience shall be provided in an Ohio long-term care facility and shall address each subject matter component, as listed in the appendix to this rule, within each topic area. The hours of clinical experience may be allocated among the subject matter components of the topic area in whatever manner best accommodates the needs of the program's trainees. The fifty-nine minimum hours of instruction required by this paragraph, including the clinical experience, shall address the following topic areas:
(a) Basic nursing skills - nineteen hours, including between six and ten hours of clinical experience;
(b) Personal care skills - twenty-two and one-half hours, including between seven to eight hours of clinical experience;
(c) Mental health and social service needs - eleven and one-half hours, including between two and four hours of clinical experience;
(d) Basic restorative services - four hours, including between one and two hours of clinical experience; and
(e) Residents' rights - two hours, including not more than one hour of clinical experience.
(6) The minimum of seventy-five hours of instruction required by paragraph (A) of this rule shall not include time spent in either of the following:
(a) The orientation program or the in-service education that a long-term care facility is required to provide pursuant to section 3721.29 of the Revised Code and paragraph (K) of rule 3701-17-07.1 of the Administrative Code; or
(b) The test conducted by the director or the director's designee under division (C) of section 3721.31 of the Revised Code and rule 3701-18-22 of the Administrative Code.
(B) Each approved TCEP shall establish behaviorally stated objectives and measurable performance criteria for each standard and subject matter component listed in the appendix to this rule. The relevant objectives shall be reviewed with the trainees at the beginning of each portion of the program so that each trainee will be able to state what he or she will be expected to do to complete that part of the program successfully.
Last updated November 28, 2022 at 8:34 AM