Rule 3745-26-13 | Requirements for certified inspectors in the enhanced automobile inspection and maintenance program.
[Comment: For dates and availability of non-regulatory government publications, publications of recognized organizations and associations, federal rules, and federal statutory provisions referenced in this rule, see paragraph (MM) of rule 3745-26-01 of the Administrative Code titled "referenced materials."]
(A) Application procedures.
Each person applying for inspector certification shall be at least eighteen years old. Applicants shall submit a complete application and agree in writing to inspect vehicles in accordance with the rules of this chapter and the Administrative Code.
(B) Inspector training and certification.
(1) The contractor in each designated nonattainment area shall be responsible for training each inspector applicant employed by the contractor according to the requirements in 40 CFR 51.367.
(2) Applicants shall successfully complete the required training and score at least eighty per cent on the written examination and hands-on demonstration administered by Ohio EPA.
(3) The director shall issue a certificate to each person who satisfies all the requirements of this rule. The certificate shall be available at the test facility where the certified inspector performs inspections.
(4) Each inspector shall be certified for a two-year period. Inspectors requiring recertification may be recertified after attending and successfully completing a recertification course and test.
(C) Inspector conduct.
(1) Certified inspectors shall not conduct inspections while under the influence of alcohol or a disabling medication or drug.
(2) Certified inspectors shall not participate in the solicitation of a bribe in order to pass a vehicle or any other fraudulent activity.
(3) The director may require a certified inspector to attend additional training at any time or require re-administration of the written exam or hands-on demonstration to determine if a certified inspector has sufficient knowledge of the rules and procedures in this chapter and the Administrative Code.
(4) The director may immediately suspend or revoke an inspector's certification for failing to comply with this rule.