Rule 3745-26-16 | Requirements for certified waiver repair technicians and approved technician trainers.
[Comment: For dates and availability of non-regulatory government publications, publications of recognized organizations and associations, federal rules, and federal statutory provisions referenced in this rule, see paragraph (MM) of rule 3745-26-01 of the Administrative Code titled "referenced materials."]
(A) The director shall certify any applicant as a waiver repair technician to conduct waiver repairs as required in paragraph (E) of rule 3745-26-12 of the Administrative Code provided the applicant does the following:
(1) Submits a completed application on a form prescribed by the director.
(2) Completes and satisfactorily passes a training curriculum sponsored or approved by the Ohio environmental protection agency for the purpose of learning the methods and procedures to be used in properly repairing vehicles failing an emissions inspection. The applicant is required to satisfactorily pass the approved training course written examination.
(3) The requirement to complete and satisfactorily pass the approved training course may be waived by the director, if the applicant possesses current automotive service excellence (ASE) certification in advanced engine performance (L1) or other certification deemed comparable by the director. .
(4) Possesses current ASE certification in Engine Performance (A8) and Electrical Systems (A6), ensuring that the technician has demonstrated competence in the area of basic emissions control systems. Beginning January 1, 1998, ASE certification in Automobile Advanced Engine Performance (L1) will be required of each applicant. The director reserves the right to require or waive performance standards as the director deems necessary.
(B) Certification as a waiver repair technician shall be valid for two years. Each certified technician may conduct or otherwise perform waiver repairs only at a certified waiver repair facility.
(C) The director shall provide each applicant a waiver repair technician's certificate upon successful completion of certification requirements. The candidate may perform waiver related repairs as required in rule 3745-26-12 of Administrative Code prior to the reception of a certificate only if all other requirements for certification have been met and satisfactorily completed or passed.
(D) Certified waiver repair technicians who change their place of employment from one certified waiver repair facility to another may continue to conduct waiver repairs so long as their certification is valid.
Certified technicians shall notify the director prior to a change in place of employment.
(E) The director may require a certified waiver repair technician to attend a program update training course at any time in order to maintain certification. The director shall notify the technician in writing of any additional training requirements.
(F) Recertification as a waiver repair technician shall consist of submitting an application to the director before the current certification expires. Additional training may also be required.
(G) Approval of technician trainers.
(1) The director may approve waiver repair technician trainers.
(2) The director may include terms and conditions necessary to become an Ohio EPA approved trainer for the purpose of training and certifying waiver repair technician.
(3) Upon approval by the director, Ohio EPA approved trainers shall also be certified as a certified waiver repair technician.
Last updated October 6, 2023 at 10:32 AM