Rule 4501-54-06 | Written exercise and skills demonstration.
(A) All course participants are required to successfully complete a written exercise administered by the course instructor. The exercise shall consist of not less than twenty-five questions and shall have a mixture of true/false and multiple choice questions. A score of not less than seventy-five per cent is required for satisfactory completion of the written exercise.
(B) All course participants are required to successfully complete a skills demonstration administered by the course instructor.
(C) The course instructor may offer one of the following options for completion of the skills demonstration:
(1) On-road skills demonstration - The course instructor shall ride with the student in a motor vehicle on the public roadways through a course that meets the requirements established in paragraph (B) of rule 4501-54-05 of the Administrative Code and this rule for the skills demonstration.
(2) Off-road skills demonstration - The course instructor shall take a position on the off-road practical course that allows him or her to observe the student's actual operation of a motor vehicle through the course. The off-road skills demonstration shall meet the requirements established in paragraph (B) of rule 4501-54-05 of the Administrative Code and this rule and be laid out with at least one simulated cross intersection. One roadway is to be designated a through street and the other a stop street. Simulated roadways on the off-road course cannot exceed twenty-four feet in width equally divided into two marked lanes. The off-road skills demonstration shall be provided on a range that meets the following requirements:
(a) The range is a closed-course facility;
(b) The range has adequate unobstructed run-off areas;
(c) Paths of travel shall be designed to provide adequate space to minimize risk to students;
(d) The range shall be paved or concrete, reasonably level surfaces that are in good condition and free of potholes, loose materials or other surface defects;
(e) The range shall not contain obstacles within the exercise areas.
(D) Evaluation of the skills demonstration shall be based on the following criteria:
(1) Did the participant drive within the prescribed skills demonstration area?
(2) Did the participant stay in the appropriate lanes when turning?
(3) Did the participant exercise the proper use of turn signals?
(4) Did the participant maintain the proper stopping distances at intersections?
(5) Did the participant exercise vigilance for other traffic?
(6) Did the participant wear a seat belt?
(7) Did the participant safely and successfully complete a backing maneuver?
(E) The student shall perform all demonstrations as set forth in paragraph (B) of rule 4501-54-05 of the Administrative Code and shall meet all the criteria established in paragraph (D) of this rule for purposes of the skills demonstration.