Rule 4501-54-05 | All course curriculums shall meet the following standards.
[Comment: For dates and availability of material incorporated by reference in this rule, see paragraph (L) in rule 4501-54-02 of the Administrative Code.]
(A) All course curriculums shall meet the following standards:
(1) The duration of a course shall be a minimum of six hours of instruction. Instruction time includes all actual classroom instruction and skills demonstration, and shall not include time spent for registration, lunch breaks, other break periods, and issuance of the "Mature Driver Course Completion Certificate."
(2) All courses shall include a written exercise and a skills demonstration.
(3) All courses shall contain at a minimum the following subject requirements:
(a) Concept of crash prevention;
(b) Defensive driving techniques, with concepts including visual lead time, communications, and adjusted speed margin of safety;
(c) The effects of aging upon the driving tasks, both mental and physical;
(d) Methods of compensating for the effects of aging;
(e) Risks of driving and crash factors resulting from alcohol and drug use;
(f) Motor vehicle inspections, vehicle systems, vehicle technologies, vehicle maintenance and equipment;
(g) Distracted driving;
(h) Understanding the vehicle, vehicle awareness, and personal safety;
(i) Sharing the road with other road users, including pedestrians and bicyclists;
(j) Updated laws, driving environments, and roadway designs.
(B) The skills demonstration standards shall require the participant to demonstrate the ability to exercise ordinary and reasonable control of a motor vehicle in the performance of the following activities:
(1) Start and place a motor vehicle in motion.
(2) One backing maneuver.
(3) One left turn and one right turn of a through street at an intersection.
(4) One left turn and one right turn at an intersection with a stop sign.
(5) Stop and secure motor vehicle.