Rule 4501:1-2-01 | Proof of financial responsibility.
(A) Except as provided in paragraph (C) of this rule, proof of financial responsibility may be shown by any of the following:
(1) A policy of liability insurance, the declaration page of a policy of liability insurance, or a liability bond, if the policy or bond complies with section 4509.20 or sections 4509.49 to 4509.61 of the Revised Code;
(2) A financial responsibility identification card issued in compliance with rule 4501:1-2-02 of the Administrative Code;
(B) In all instances, proof of financial responsibility may be shown by:
(1) A bond issued in compliance with section 4509.59 of the Revised Code and rule 4501:1-2-03 of the Administrative Code;
(2) A certificate issued by the registrar of motor vehicles for the deposit of money or securities in compliance with section 4509.62 of the Revised Code and rule 4501:1-2-04 of the Administrative Code;
(3) A certificate of self-insurance issued by the registrar pursuant to section 4509.72 of the Revised Code and rule 4501:1-2-05 of the Administrative Code; or
(4) A uniform financial responsibility form, SR-22.
(C) Whenever a person is required by law to give and maintain proof of financial responsibility for a definite period of time as a condition for maintaining driving privileges, proof may not be given by any of the methods stated in paragraph (A) of this rule, but shall be given by one of the methods stated in paragraph (B) of this rule.
(D) In addition to the methods provided in paragraphs (A) and (B) of this rule, a motor carrier certified by the interstate commerce commission or by the public utilities commission may demonstrate proof of financial responsibility by providing a statement designating the motor carrier's operating authority and averring that the insurance coverage required by the certificating authority is in full force and effect.