Rule 4701-11-04 | Commissions and referral fees.
(A) The following words, when used in this chapter, shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Commission" means compensation for recommending or referring any product or service to be supplied by another person or entity.
(2) "Engagement" or "engaged" shall have the meaning as defined in rule 4701-13-01 of the Administrative Code.
(3) "Referral fee" means compensation for recommending or referring any service of an Ohio permit holder or public accounting firm to any person.
(B) An Ohio permit holder shall not, for a commission, recommend or refer to a client any product or service, nor shall the Ohio permit holder, for a commission, recommend or refer any product or service to be supplied by a client, nor shall the Ohio permit holder receive a commission when the Ohio permit holder or the Ohio permit holder's registered firm concurrently performs for that client any of the following professional services:
(1) An audit or review of a financial statement.
(2) A compilation of a financial statement when the Ohio permit holder expects, or reasonably might expect, that a third party may use the financial statement where the Ohio permit holder's compilation report does not disclose a lack of independence.
(3) An attestation engagement as defined in rule 4701-9-05 of the Administrative Code.
(C) The prohibitions outlined in paragraph (B) of this rule apply during the period in which the Ohio permit holder is engaged to perform any of the services described in paragraph (B) of this rule as well as during any period covered by any historical financial statements involved with those services.
(D) An Ohio permit holder who is not prohibited by this rule from performing services for or receiving a commission from a client and who is paid or expects to be paid a commission by the client shall disclose that fact to any person or entity to whom the Ohio permit holder recommends or refers a product or service to which the commission relates.
(E) Any Ohio permit holder who accepts a referral fee for recommending or referring any services of an Ohio permit holder to any person or entity or who pays a referral fee to obtain a client shall disclose such acceptance or payment to the client.
Last updated October 20, 2021 at 9:35 AM