Rule 4729:3-5-02 | Continuing Education Requirements for Registered and Certified Technicians.
(A) As a condition for the renewal of a registration as a registered pharmacy technician, the registrant shall complete a total of ten contact hours (1.0 C.E.Us) of continuing pharmacy education during the twenty-four months preceding the expiration date of the technician's registration. The continuing pharmacy education shall be in pharmacy technician-specific subject matter and shall include, at a minimum, the following:
(1) Two contact hours (0.2 C.E.Us) of continuing pharmacy education shall be in the subject of pharmacy jurisprudence (law).
(2) Two contact hours (0.2 C.E.Us) of continuing pharmacy education shall be in the subject of patient or medication safety.
(B) Paragraph (A) of this rule does not apply to registered pharmacy technicians that obtain an initial registration within six months of the expiration date of the registration.
(C) A registered pharmacy technician may satisfy up to one-third of the technician's continuing education requirements by providing health care services as a volunteer in accordance with section 4745.04 of the Revised Code. The location where health care services are provided shall be an approved in-state provider of volunteer healthcare services in accordance with agency 4729 of the Administrative Code.
(D) Registered pharmacy technicians shall keep all certificates and other documented evidence of participation which have been issued by a non-A.C.P.E. accredited provider for which the pharmacy technician has claimed continuing education units towards renewal of the technician's registration for a period of one year following the year in which evidence was required for renewal.
(1) Documentation, as determined by the state board of pharmacy, shall be submitted only when requested by the board.
(2) The board shall monitor compliance by conducting an audit of registrants.
(3) The board shall require the reporting of continuing education units to a national and/or state register.
(E) As a condition for the renewal of a registration as a certified pharmacy technician, the registrant shall complete all continuing education requirements necessary to maintain the registrant's pharmacy technician certification from an organization that has been recognized by the board.