Rule 4729:5-1-02 | Licensed health professional authorized to prescribe drugs.
(A) The following persons licensed in accordance with Chapters 4715., 4723., 4725., 4729., 4730., 4731., and 4741. of the Revised Code are authorized by law to write prescriptions for drugs or dangerous drugs in the course of the person's professional practice:
(1) Chapter 4715. of the Revised Code: dentist.
(2) Chapter 4725. of the Revised Code: optometrist, if that person holds a current therapeutic pharmaceutical agents certificate as defined in section 4725.01 of the Revised Code.
(3) Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code: doctor of medicine, doctor of osteopathic medicine and surgery, and doctor of podiatry.
(4) Chapter 4741. of the Revised Code: doctor of veterinary medicine.
(5) Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code: advanced practice registered nurse in accordance with paragraph (D) of this rule.
(6) Chapter 4730. of the Revised Code: physician assistant in accordance with paragraph (E) of this rule.
(7) Chapter 4729. of the Revised Code: pharmacist in accordance with paragraph (F) of this rule.
(B) Those persons participating in an approved internship, residency, or fellowship program in this state are authorized to write prescriptions only when acting within the person's scope of employment. Approved internship and residency programs are those accredited by the "Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)," "American Osteopathic Association (AOA)," or "Council of Podiatric Medical Education (CPME) of the American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA)." Approved clinical fellowships are those at institutions which have a residency program in the same or a related clinical field which is accredited by the ACGME, the AOA, or the APMA.
(C) A nonresident prescriber whose license is current and in good standing and who is authorized to issue prescriptions for dangerous drugs in the course of the prescriber's professional practice in a state other than Ohio is authorized to write prescriptions in that state for drugs to be dispensed in the state of Ohio. The prescriber shall comply with the requirements of rule 4729:5-5-15 of the Administrative Code.
(D) An advanced practice registered nurse shall prescribe pursuant to the requirements set forth in section 4723.481 of the Revised Code and the rules adopted thereunder.
(E) A physician assistant who holds a valid prescriber number pursuant to section 4730.41 of the Revised Code issued by the state medical board is authorized to prescribe drugs and therapeutic devices in the exercise of physician-delegated prescriptive authority.
(F) A pharmacist who is either:
(1) Authorized to manage drug therapy pursuant section 4729.39 of the Revised Code when authorized by a consult agreement and to the extent specified in the agreement; or
(2) Authorized to issue prescriptions for dangerous drugs pursuant to Chapter 4729. of the Revised Code.
Amplifies: 3719.01, 3719.04, 3719.05, 3719.06, 3719.07, 4729.01, 4729.51, 4729.55
Five Year Review Date: 5/31/2024
Prior Effective Dates: 9/10/1976, 7/1/1984, 7/1/1990, 7/1/1993, 3/3/1995, 2/1/1998, 3/1/1999, 2/1/2003, 2/1/2005, 1/1/2006, 10/19/2007, 5/22/2014, 8/18/2016