Section 3719.04 | Sale of controlled substances by category III licensees.
(A) A person identified in division (B)(1)(a) of section 4729.52 of the Revised Code who holds a category III license under that section may sell at wholesale controlled substances to any of the following persons and subject to the following conditions:
(1) To another person who holds a category III license issued under section 4729.52 of the Revised Code or to a terminal distributor of dangerous drugs with a category III license issued under section 4729.54 of the Revised Code;
(2) To a person in the employ of the United States government or of any state, territorial, district, county, municipal, or insular government, purchasing, receiving, possessing, or dispensing controlled substances by reason of official duties;
(3) To a master of a ship or a person in charge of any aircraft upon which no physician is regularly employed, for the actual medical needs of persons on board the ship or aircraft, when not in port; provided such controlled substances shall be sold to the master of the ship or person in charge of the aircraft only in pursuance of a special official written order approved by a commissioned medical officer or acting assistant surgeon of the United States public health service;
(4) To a person in a foreign country, if the federal drug abuse control laws are complied with.
(B) An official written order for any schedule II controlled substances shall comply with all requirements of the federal drug abuse control laws and rules adopted by the state board of pharmacy. Except as provided in section 3719.05 of the Revised Code or as otherwise specified in rules adopted by the board, each party engaged in the sale of schedule II controlled substances shall maintain all records relating to the order for a period of five years in such a way as to be readily accessible for inspection by any public officer or employee engaged in the enforcement of this chapter.
Available Versions of this Section
- June 29, 1994 – House Bill 88, 120th General Assembly [ View June 29, 1994 Version ]
- August 31, 2016 – Amended by House Bill 116, 131st General Assembly [ View August 31, 2016 Version ]
- September 29, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 49, 132nd General Assembly [ View September 29, 2017 Version ]
- March 22, 2019 – Amended by Senate Bill 229, 132nd General Assembly [ View March 22, 2019 Version ]