Rule 4765-19-03 | Extension of continuing education requirement for EMS providers.
[Comment: For dates and availability of material incorporated by reference in this chapter and Chapters 4765-01 to 4765-10 and 4765-12 to 4765-19 of the Administrative Code, see rule 4765-1-03 of the Administrative Code.]
(A) Pursuant to section 4765.31 of the Revised Code, the holder of a certificate to practice may be granted an extension of time to comply with the continuing education required for renewal of the certificate to practice.
(B) A ninety-day functioning extension may be granted by the division, as delegated by the board, to the holder of a certificate to practice that submits a "Request for Extension of EMS Certificates," if either of the following conditions are met:
(1) The request is received prior to the expiration date of the certificate to practice;
(2) The request is received no more than ninety days after the expiration date of the certificate to practice and there are extenuating circumstances, deemed acceptable by the board, that prevented the submission of the request for an extension prior to the expiration of the certificate to practice.
(C) The board may grant an extension for a period of greater than ninety days if it determines there are extenuating circumstances affecting the ability of the certificate holder to comply with the continuing education requirement within ninety days of the expiration of the certificate to practice. The board shall have full discretion in determining the length of the extension and whether, or to what extent, the holder of the lapsed certificate may engage in activities for which a certificate to practice is otherwise required.
(D) A holder of a certificate to practice seeking an extension for a period of greater than ninety days shall submit a written request to the division which shall include all of the following:
(1) Length of extension requested;
(2) Justification for the extension;
(3) The amount and type of continuing education needed to comply with the requirement for renewal of the certificate to practice;
(4) A specific plan for completion of the continuing education requirement within the length of time requested;
(5) Certification number of the certificate to practice;
(6) Signature of the certificate holder.
(E) The holder of a certificate to practice that is granted an extension pursuant to this rule shall complete the continuing education requirement and submit an "EMS Renewal Application" no later than the expiration date of the granted extension.
(F) If the holder of an expired certificate failed to meet the continuing education requirements because of the holder's service in the armed forces or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio national guard or the national guard of any other state, the certificate holder may submit an application requesting an extension, which shall be approved in accordance with section 5903.12 of the Revised Code.