Rule 5160-10-27 | DMEPOS: continuous passive motion (CPM) devices.
(1) Payment may be made for the rental of a continuous passive motion (CPM) device to be used in a personal residence, beginning within forty-eight hours after total knee replacement surgery or the surgical revision of a total knee replacement, for a period not to exceed twenty-one days. The prescription for the device must indicate the first date and last date of use.
(2) Separate payment may be made for the purchase of one complete set of accessories (e.g., pads, straps, hook-and-loop closures) if the individual does not already have such accessories as a result of previous use of a CPM device.
(B) Requirements, constraints, and limitations. No payment is made for a CPM device in any of the following circumstances:
(1) The device is used on a joint other than the knee;
(2) The device is used as a substitute for conventional physical therapy; or
(3) Neither the individual nor anyone assisting the individual is able to operate the device or is willing to follow the necessary post-surgery rehabilitation regimen.