Section 121.083 | Superintendent of industrial compliance - powers and duties.
(A) The superintendent of industrial compliance in the department of commerce shall do all of the following:
(1) Administer and enforce the general laws of this state pertaining to buildings, pressure piping, boilers, bedding, upholstered furniture, and stuffed toys, steam engineering, elevators, plumbing, licensed occupations regulated by the department, and travel agents, as they apply to plans review, inspection, code enforcement, testing, licensing, registration, and certification.
(2) Exercise the powers and perform the duties delegated to the superintendent by the director of commerce under Chapters 4109., 4111., and 4115. of the Revised Code.
(3) Collect and collate statistics as are necessary.
(4) Examine and license persons who desire to act as steam engineers, to operate steam boilers, and to act as inspectors of steam boilers, provide for the scope, conduct, and time of such examinations, provide for, regulate, and enforce the renewal and revocation of such licenses, inspect and examine steam boilers and make, publish, and enforce rules and orders for the construction, installation, inspection, and operation of steam boilers, and do, require, and enforce all things necessary to make such examination, inspection, and requirement efficient.
(5) Rent and furnish offices as needed in cities in this state for the conduct of its affairs.
(6) Oversee a chief of construction and compliance, a chief of operations and maintenance, a chief of licensing and certification, a chief of worker protection, and other designees appointed by the director to perform the duties described in this section.
(7) Enforce the rules the board of building standards adopts pursuant to division (A)(2) of section 4104.43 of the Revised Code under the circumstances described in division (D) of that section.
(8) Accept submissions, establish a fee for submissions, and review submissions of certified welding and brazing procedure specifications, procedure qualification records, and performance qualification records for building services piping as required by section 4104.44 of the Revised Code.
(B) The superintendent may enter into a contract with a municipal corporation, township, or county building department certified by the board of building standards pursuant to division (E) of section 3781.10 of the Revised Code, or a municipal or county health district, to do any of the following on behalf of the building department or health district:
(1) Exercise enforcement authority pursuant to section 3781.03 of the Revised Code;
(2) Accept and approve plans and specifications, and make inspections, pursuant to section 3791.04 of the Revised Code;
(3) Enforce the rules adopted pursuant to division (A)(2) of section 4104.43 of the Revised Code.