Section 122.76 | Loan criteria.
(A) The director of development, with controlling board approval, may lend funds to minority business enterprises and to community improvement corporations, Ohio development corporations, minority contractors business assistance organizations, and minority business supplier development councils for the purpose of loaning funds to minority business enterprises, for the purpose of procuring or improving real or personal property, or both, for the establishment, location, or expansion of industrial, distribution, commercial, or research facilities in the state, and for the purpose of contract financing, and to community development corporations that predominantly benefit minority business enterprises or are located in a census tract that has a population that is sixty per cent or more minority, if the director determines, in the director's sole discretion, that all of the following apply:
(1) The project is economically sound and will benefit the people of the state by increasing opportunities for employment, by strengthening the economy of the state, or expanding minority business enterprises.
(2) The proposed minority business enterprise borrower is unable to finance the proposed project through ordinary financial channels at comparable terms.
(3) The value of the project is or, upon completion, will be at least equal to the total amount of the money expended in the procurement or improvement of the project.
(4) The amount to be loaned by the director will not exceed seventy-five per cent of the total amount expended in the procurement or improvement of the project.
(5) The amount to be loaned by the director will be adequately secured by a first or second mortgage upon the project or by mortgages, leases, liens, assignments, or pledges on or of other property or contracts as the director requires, and such mortgage will not be subordinate to any other liens or mortgages except the liens securing loans or investments made by financial institutions referred to in division (A)(3) of this section, and the liens securing loans previously made by any financial institution in connection with the procurement or expansion of all or part of a project.
(B) Any proposed minority business enterprise borrower submitting an application for assistance under this section shall not have defaulted on a previous loan from the director, and no full or limited partner, major shareholder, or holder of an equity interest of the proposed minority business enterprise borrower shall have defaulted on a loan from the director.
(C) The proposed minority business enterprise borrower shall demonstrate to the satisfaction of the director that it is able to successfully compete in the private sector if it obtains the necessary financial, technical, or managerial support and that support is available through the director, the minority business development division of the department of development, or other identified and acceptable sources. In determining whether a minority business enterprise borrower will be able to successfully compete, the director may give consideration to such factors as the successful completion of or participation in courses of study, recognized by the department of higher education as providing financial, technical, or managerial skills related to the operation of the business, by the economically disadvantaged individual, owner, or partner, and the prior success of the individual, owner, or partner in personal, career, or business activities, as well as to other factors identified by the director.
(D) The director shall not lend funds for the purpose of procuring or improving motor vehicles or accounts receivable.
Last updated November 1, 2021 at 3:08 PM