Section 1306.07 | Electronic record capable of retention by recipient at time of receipt.
(A) If the parties have agreed to conduct a transaction by electronic means and a law requires a person to provide, send, or deliver information in writing to another person, the requirement is satisfied if the information is provided, sent, or delivered, as the case may be, in an electronic record capable of retention by the recipient at the time of receipt. An electronic record is not capable of retention by the recipient if the sender or its information processing system inhibits the ability of the recipient to print or store the electronic record.
(B) If a law other than sections 1306.01 to 1306.23 of the Revised Code requires a record to be posted or displayed in a certain manner, to be sent, communicated, or transmitted by a specified method, or to contain information that is formatted in a certain manner, all of the following apply:
(1) The record shall be posted or displayed in the manner specified in the other law.
(2) Except as otherwise provided in division (D)(2) of this section, the record shall be sent, communicated, or transmitted by the method specified in the other law.
(3) The record shall contain the information formatted in the manner specified in the other law.
(C) If a sender inhibits the ability of a recipient to store or print an electronic record, the electronic record is not enforceable against the recipient.
(D) Divisions (A), (B), and (C) of this section may not be varied by agreement, except as follows:
(1) To the extent a law, other than sections 1306.01 to 1306.23 of the Revised Code, requires information to be provided, sent, or delivered in writing but permits that requirement to be varied by agreement, the requirement under division (A) of this section that the information be in the form of an electronic record capable of retention also may be varied by agreement;
(2) A requirement under a law, other than sections 1306.01 to 1306.23 of the Revised Code, to send, communicate, or transmit a record by regular mail may be varied by agreement to the extent permitted by the other law.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 14, 2000 – House Bill 488, 123rd General Assembly [ View September 14, 2000 Version ]