Section 1329.56 | Application for registration.
(A) Subject to the limitations set forth in sections 1329.54 to 1329.67 of the Revised Code, any person who adopts and uses a trademark or service mark in this state may file in the office of the secretary of state, on a form to be prescribed by the secretary of state, an application for registration of that trademark or service mark that sets forth, but is not limited to, the following information:
(1) The name and business address of the person applying for the registration; if the person is a corporation, the state of its incorporation; if the person is a partnership or limited liability partnership, the state in which the partnership is organized and the names of the general partners; and, if the person is a limited liability company, the state of its organization;
(2) The goods or services on or in connection with which the mark is used, the mode or manner in which the mark is used on or in connection with the goods or services, and the class in which the goods or services fall;
(3) The date when the mark was first used anywhere and the date when it was first used in this state by the applicant or the applicant's predecessor in interest;
(4) A statement that the applicant is the owner of the mark, that the mark is in use, and that, to the knowledge of the person verifying the application, no other person has the right to use the mark in the state either in the identical form of the mark, or in near resemblance to the mark, as to be likely, when used on or in connection with the goods or services of another person, to cause confusion or mistake or to deceive;
(5) A statement that, to the knowledge of the person verifying the application, no other person has a registration or a pending intent to use application of the same or a confusingly similar mark in the United States patent and trademark office for the same or similar goods or services or a statement that the applicant is the owner of a concurrent registration in the United States patent and trademark office of the applicant's mark covering an area including this state.
(B) The application shall be signed and verified by the applicant, by an authorized representative, or by an officer of the firm, limited liability company, limited liability partnership, general partnership, or limited partnership, corporation, union, association, or other organization that is the applicant.
(C) The application shall be accompanied by a specimen of the mark as actually used and shall contain a brief description of the mark as it appears on the specimen.
(D) The application shall be accompanied by the filing fee specified in division (U)(1) of section 111.16 of the Revised Code, payable to the secretary of state.
Available Versions of this Section
- June 6, 2001 – House Bill 94 - 124th General Assembly [ View June 6, 2001 Version ]