Section 147.021 | Education and testing.
(A)(1) Except as provided in division (B)(4) of section 147.01 of the Revised Code, no person shall be appointed as a notary public unless that person has completed an educational program related to the requirements of this chapter and passed a test demonstrating knowledge of such requirements.
(2) The secretary of state may authorize that such a program be completed online.
(B) The secretary of state shall adopt, in rules under Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, standards and curricula for the educational program required under this section. The rules shall address all of the following:
(1) The entities authorized to administer the educational program and the required test, which shall include the following entities that meet the minimum requirements established by the secretary of state:
(a) Those entities providing notary public educational programming and testing services prior to the effective date of this section;
(b) Another entity that has a business relationship with an entity described in division (B)(1)(a) of this section.
(2) The standards and curricula of the program, which shall be established in coordination with the entities authorized to administer the program and the required test and shall include all of the following:
(a) The terms of notary commission;
(b) How to renew a commission;
(c) The conditions under which a commission may be revoked;
(d) What constitutes a legal notarial act;
(e) The manner of taking depositions;
(f) The taking of an acknowledgment;
(g) The administration of a jurat.
(3) The provisions and content of the required test, which shall be established in coordination with the entities authorized to administer the educational program and required test.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 20, 2019 – Enacted by Senate Bill 263 - 132nd General Assembly [ View September 20, 2019 Version ]