Section 147.142 | Advertisement as immigration consultant; other prohibited acts.
(A) A notary public who is not a licensed attorney in this state shall not represent or advertise himself or herself as an immigration consultant or an expert in immigration matters.
(B) A notary public who is not a licensed attorney in this state shall not do any of the following:
(1) Provide any service that constitutes the unauthorized practice of law in violation of section 4705.07 of the Revised Code;
(2) State or imply that the notary is an attorney licensed to practice law in this state;
(3) Solicit or accept compensation to prepare documents for or otherwise represent the interest of another person in a judicial or administrative proceeding, including a proceeding relating to immigration to the United States, United States citizenship, or related matters;
(4) Solicit or accept compensation to obtain relief of any kind on behalf of another from any officer, agency, or employee of this state or of the United States;
(5) Use the phrase "notario" or "notario publico" to advertise the services of a notary public, whether by sign, pamphlet, stationery, or other written communication, or by radio, television, or other non-written communication.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 20, 2019 – Enacted by Senate Bill 263, 132nd General Assembly [ View September 20, 2019 Version ]