Section 147.59 | Designated alternative signer.
(A) An individual whose physical characteristics limit the individual's ability to sign a document presented for notarization may direct a designated alternative signer to sign on the individual's behalf, if all of the following are met:
(1) The individual clearly indicates, through oral, verbal, physical, electronic, or mechanical means, to the notary public the individual's intent for the designated alternative signer to sign the individual's name on the notarial document.
(2) Both the individual and the designated alternative signer provide satisfactory identification to the notary public.
(3) The designated alternative signer signs the document in the presence of the notary public.
(4) The designated alternative signer is not named in the document.
(5) The notarial certificate provided to the individual gives the name of the designated alternative signer and states that the document was signed under this section at the direction of the individual.
(B) An individual may use a designated alternative signer to perform an online notarial act if all of the requirements of division (A) of this section are met.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 20, 2019 – Enacted by Senate Bill 263, 132nd General Assembly [ View September 20, 2019 Version ]