Section 148.042 | Automatic enrollment.
(A) As used in this section, "employing authority" means both of the following:
(1) The supreme court, house of representatives, senate, legislative service commission, secretary of state, auditor of state, treasurer of state, or attorney general with respect to employees of those entities;
(2) The director of administrative services, with respect to eligible employees employed in a position paid by warrant of the director of budget and management who are not employed by a person or entity listed in division (A)(1) of this section.
(B)(1) An employing authority may elect to automatically enroll employees described in division (C)(1) of this section in the Ohio public employees deferred compensation program. An employing authority that elects automatic enrollment shall notify the Ohio public employees deferred compensation board of that election. Automatic enrollment shall commence as soon as administratively practical for the board and the employing authority.
(2) An employing authority that elects automatic enrollment may cease automatic enrollment by notifying the board. The employing authority shall specify in the notice the date on which automatic enrollment will cease, and that date must be at least ninety days after the date the employing authority sends the notice. An employee who commences employment after automatic enrollment ceases may elect to participate in the program in accordance with section 148.04 or 148.041 of the Revised Code. Cessation of automatic enrollment does not affect the enrollment of employees enrolled during an automatic enrollment period.
An employing authority that ceases automatic enrollment may subsequently elect automatic enrollment by complying with division (B)(1) of this section.
(C)(1) An eligible employee employed by an employing authority that has elected automatic enrollment shall be automatically enrolled in the program if one of the following applies to the employee:
(a) The employee initially commences employment with the employing authority on or after the date automatic enrollment begins under division (B) of this section.
(b) The employee separates from employment with an employing authority, becomes a continuing member, and, on or after the date automatic enrollment begins, commences employment with that employing authority or a different employing authority.
(c) The employee is employed in a position paid by warrant of the director of budget and management and the employee transfers employment from an employing authority that has not elected to automatically enroll employees under this section to another position paid by warrant of the director of budget and management under an employing authority that has elected to automatically enroll employees, if the transfer occurs on or after the date automatic enrollment begins.
(2) An employee who, at the time of transferring from one employing authority to another as described in division (C)(1)(c) of this section, is a participating employee shall not be automatically enrolled in the program by the employing authority to which the employee transfers.
(D) The board shall establish the automatic deferral amounts and specify the investment options into which those deferred amounts will be invested for participating employees who are enrolled under this section. Deferral amounts shall not exceed the lesser of either ten per cent of an eligible employee's compensation or the maximum contribution that the employee is eligible to contribute under federal law.
(E) An employing authority that elects to automatically enroll employees under this section shall provide those employees with notice of the employee's rights and obligations in the manner prescribed by the board.
(F) An employing authority shall not elect to automatically enroll an eligible employee under this section, or elect to cease automatic enrollment, if that election conflicts with any collective bargaining agreement entered into between the employing authority and an exclusive representative as defined in section 4117.01 of the Revised Code.
Last updated June 10, 2021 at 12:32 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- September 7, 2021 – Enacted by Senate Bill 27 - 134th General Assembly [ View September 7, 2021 Version ]