Section 1547.07 | Reckless or unsafe operation of vessel, water skis, aquaplane.
(A) Any person who operates any vessel or manipulates any water skis, aquaplane, or similar device on the waters in this state carelessly or heedlessly, or in disregard of the rights or safety of any person, vessel, or property, or without due caution, at a rate of speed or in a manner so as to endanger any person, vessel, or property is guilty of reckless operation of the vessel or other device.
(B) No person shall operate or permit the operation of a vessel in an unsafe manner. A vessel shall be operated in a reasonable and prudent manner at all times.
Unsafe vessel operation includes, without limitation, any of the following:
(1) A vessel becoming airborne or completely leaving the water while crossing the wake of another vessel at a distance of less than one hundred feet, or at an unsafe distance, from the vessel creating the wake;
(2) Operating at such a speed and proximity to another vessel or to a person attempting to ride on one or more water skis, surfboard, inflatable device, or similar device being towed by a vessel so as to require the operator of either vessel to swerve or turn abruptly to avoid collision;
(3) Operating less than two hundred feet directly behind a person water skiing or attempting to water ski;
(4) Weaving through congested traffic.
Available Versions of this Section
- March 18, 1997 – Senate Bill 295 - 121st General Assembly [ View March 18, 1997 Version ]