Section 1561.23 | Issuance of certificates - qualifications of applicants generally.
(A) The chief of the division of mineral resources management shall issue the following certificates to those applicants who pass their examination:
(1) Certificates for mine forepersons of gaseous mines;
(2) Certificates for mine forepersons of nongaseous mines;
(3) Certificates for forepersons of gaseous mines;
(4) Certificates for forepersons of nongaseous mines;
(5) Certificates for forepersons of surface maintenance facilities of underground or surface mines;
(6) Certificates for mine forepersons of surface mines;
(7) Certificates for forepersons of surface mines;
(8) Certificates for fire bosses;
(9) Certificates for mine electricians;
(10) Certificates for surface mine blasters;
(11) Certificates for shot firers.
(B) Applicants for certificates shall make application to the chief, on a form provided by the chief, for examination. All applicants shall be able to read and write the English language intelligently, and shall furnish the chief with a certificate as to the length and description of their practical experience and satisfactory evidence of their ability to perform the duties of the position for which they make application for examination.
(C) The chief may issue a certificate to an applicant for mine foreperson, foreperson, or mine electrician who holds a valid certification or other authorization from a state with which the department of natural resources has a reciprocal agreement for the certification or other authorization. However, the applicant shall pass an examination on this chapter and rules adopted under it or on any other relevant material that the chief determines to be appropriate.
A mine foreperson, foreperson, or mine electrician who has been issued a temporary certificate under section 1565.06 of the Revised Code prior to the effective date of this amendment and who holds a valid certification or other authorization from a state with which the department has a reciprocal agreement for the certification or other authorization may continue to operate under the temporary certificate until it expires or the chief suspends or revokes it.
(D) Except as provided in sections 1561.16 and 1561.17 of the Revised Code, any certificate issued by the former mine examining board prior to October 29, 1995, shall remain in effect notwithstanding the new classifications of certificates established by this section.
Last updated October 5, 2021 at 1:34 PM