Section 187.04 | Contract with development services agency.
(A) The director of development services, as soon as practical after February 18, 2011, shall execute a contract with JobsOhio for the corporation to assist the director and the development services agency with providing services or otherwise carrying out the functions or duties of the agency, including the operation and management of programs, offices, divisions, or boards, as may be determined by the director in consultation with the governor. The approval or disapproval of awards involving public money shall remain functions of the agency. All contracts for grants, loans, and tax incentives involving public money shall be between the agency and the recipient and shall be enforced by the agency. JobsOhio may not execute contracts obligating the agency for loans, grants, tax credits, or incentive awards recommended by JobsOhio to the agency. Prior to execution, all contracts between the director and JobsOhio entered into under this section that obligate the agency to pay JobsOhio for services rendered are subject to controlling board approval.
The term of an initial contract entered into under this section shall not extend beyond June 30, 2013. Thereafter, the director and JobsOhio may renew the contract for subsequent fiscal biennia, but at no time shall a particular contract be effective for longer than a fiscal biennium of the general assembly.
JobsOhio's provision of services to the agency as described in this section shall be pursuant to a contract entered into under this section. If at any time the director determines that the contract with JobsOhio may not be renewed for the subsequent fiscal biennium, the director shall notify JobsOhio of the director's decision not later than one hundred twenty days prior to the end of the current fiscal biennium. If the director does not provide such written notice to JobsOhio prior to one hundred days before the end of the current fiscal biennium, the contract shall be renewed upon such terms as the parties may agree, subject to the requirements of this section.
(B) A contract entered into under this section shall include all of the following:
(1) Terms assigning to the corporation the duties of advising and assisting the director in the director's evaluation of the agency and the formulation of recommendations under section 187.05 of the Revised Code;
(2) Terms designating records created or received by JobsOhio that shall be made available to the public under the same conditions as are public records under section 149.43 of the Revised Code. Documents designated to be made available to the public pursuant to the contract shall be kept on file with the agency.
Among records to be designated under this division shall be the following:
(a) The corporation's federal income tax returns;
(b) The report of expenditures described in division (B)(3) of section 187.03 of the Revised Code. The records shall be filed with the agency at such times and frequency as agreed to by the corporation and the agency, which shall not be less frequently than quarterly.
(c) The annual total compensation paid to each officer and employee of the corporation;
(d) A copy of the report for each financial audit of the corporation and of each supplemental compliance and control review of the corporation performed by a firm of independent certified public accountants pursuant to division (J) of section 187.01 of the Revised Code.
(e) Records of any fully executed incentive proposals, to be filed annually;
(f) Records pertaining to the monitoring of commitments made by incentive recipients, to be filed annually;
(g) A copy of the minutes of all public meetings described in division (C) of section 187.03 of the Revised Code not otherwise closed to the public.
(3) The following statement acknowledging that JobsOhio is not acting as an agent of the state:
"JobsOhio shall have no power or authority to bind the state or to assume or create an obligation or responsibility, expressed or implied, on behalf of the state or in its name, nor shall JobsOhio represent to any person that it has any such power or authority, except as expressly provided in this contract."
(C)(1) Records created by JobsOhio are not public records for the purposes of Chapter 149. of the Revised Code, regardless of who may have custody of the records, unless the record is designated to be available to the public by the contract under division (B)(2) of this section.
(2) Records received by JobsOhio from any person or entity that is not subject to section 149.43 of the Revised Code are not public records for purposes of Chapter 149. of the Revised Code, regardless of who may have custody of the records, unless the record is designated to be available to the public by the contract under division (B)(2) of this section.
(3) Records received by JobsOhio from a public office as defined in section 149.011 of the Revised Code that are not public records under section 149.43 of the Revised Code when in the custody of the public office are not public records for the purposes of section 149.43 of the Revised Code regardless of who has custody of the records.
(4) Division (B) of section 4701.19 of the Revised Code applies to any work papers of the firm of independent certified public accountants engaged to perform the annual financial audit and the supplemental compliance and control review described in division (J) of section 187.01 of the Revised Code, and to the financial audit report and any report of the supplemental compliance and control review, unless the record is designated to be available to the public by the contract under division (B)(2) of this section.
(D) Any contract executed under authority of this section shall not negate, impair, or otherwise adversely affect the obligation of this state to pay debt charges on securities executed by the director or issued by the treasurer of state, Ohio public facilities commission, or any other issuing authority under Chapter 122., 151., 165., or 166. of the Revised Code to fund economic development programs of the state, or to abide by any pledge or covenant relating to the payment of those debt charges made in any related proceedings. As used in this division, "debt charges," "proceedings," and "securities" have the same meanings as in section 133.01 of the Revised Code.
(E) Nothing in this section, other than the requirement of controlling board approval, shall prohibit the agency from contracting with JobsOhio to perform any of the following functions:
(1) Promoting and advocating for the state;
(2) Making recommendations to the agency;
(3) Performing research for the agency;
(4) Establishing and managing programs or offices on behalf of the agency, by contract;
(5) Negotiating on behalf of the state.
(F) Nothing in this section, other than the requirement of controlling board approval, shall prohibit the agency from compensating JobsOhio from funds currently appropriated to the agency to perform the functions described in division (E) of this section.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 4, 2013 – Senate Bill 67, 130th General Assembly [ View September 4, 2013 Version ]