Section 2108.23 | Bureau of motor vehicles donor registry.
(A)(1) The bureau of motor vehicles shall develop and maintain a donor registry that identifies each individual who has agreed to make an anatomical gift by a designation on a driver's license or identification card as provided in division (A)(1) of section 2108.05 of the Revised Code. The registry shall be fully operational not later than July 1, 2002.
(2) Any person who provides to the bureau the form set forth in division (C)(2) of section 2133.07 of the Revised Code requesting to be included in the donor registry shall be included.
(B) The bureau shall maintain the registry in a manner that provides to organ procurement organizations, tissue banks, and eye banks immediate access to the information in the registry twenty-four hours a day and seven days a week.
(C)(1) The registrar of motor vehicles, in consultation with the director of health and the second chance trust fund advisory committee created under section 2108.35 of the Revised Code, shall formulate proposed rules that specify all of the following:
(a) The information to be included in the registry;
(b) A process, in accordance with division (B) of section 2108.06 of the Revised Code, for an individual to revoke the individual's intent to make an anatomical gift and for updating information in the registry;
(c) How the registry will be made available to organ procurement organizations, tissue banks, and eye banks;
(d) Limitations on the use of and access to the registry;
(e) How information on organ, tissue, and eye donation will be developed and disseminated to the public by the bureau and the department of health;
(f) Anything else the registrar considers appropriate.
(2) In adopting the proposed rules under this division, the registrar may consult with any person or entity that expresses an interest in the matters to be dealt with in the rules.
(3) Following formulation of the proposed rules, but not later than January 1, 2002, the registrar shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code.
(D) The costs of developing and initially implementing the registry shall be paid from the second chance trust fund created in section 2108.34 of the Revised Code.
Last updated November 8, 2021 at 4:41 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- April 7, 2009 – House Bill 529 - 127th General Assembly [ View April 7, 2009 Version ]
- August 17, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 7 - 134th General Assembly [ View August 17, 2021 Version ]
- October 1, 2022 – Amended by House Bill 21 - 134th General Assembly [ View October 1, 2022 Version ]