Section 2710.02 | Application of chapter.
(A) Except as otherwise provided in division (B) or (C) of this section, sections 2710.01 to 2710.10 of the Revised Code apply to a mediation under any of the following circumstances:
(1) The mediation parties are required to mediate by statute or court or administrative agency rule or referred to mediation by a court, administrative agency, or arbitrator.
(2) The mediation parties and the mediator agree to mediate in a record that demonstrates an expectation that mediation communications will be privileged against disclosure.
(3) The mediation parties use as a mediator an individual who holds himself or herself out as a mediator, or the mediation is provided by a person that holds itself out as providing mediation.
(B) Sections 2710.01 to 2710.10 of the Revised Code do not apply to a mediation in which any of the following apply:
(1) The mediation relates to the establishment, negotiation, administration, or termination of a collective bargaining relationship.
(2) The mediation relates to a dispute that is pending under or is part of the processes established by a collective bargaining agreement, except that sections 2710.01 to 2710.10 of the Revised Code apply to a mediation arising out of a dispute that has been filed with an administrative agency or court.
(3) The mediation is conducted by a judge or magistrate who might make a ruling on the case.
(4) The mediation is conducted under the auspices of either of the following:
(a) A primary or secondary school if all the parties are students;
(b) A correctional institution for youths if all the parties are residents of that institution.
(C) If the parties agree in advance in a signed record, or a record of proceeding reflects agreement by the parties, that all or part of a mediation is not privileged, the privileges under sections 2710.03, 2710.04, and 2710.05 of the Revised Code do not apply to the mediation or part agreed upon. However, sections 2710.03, 2710.04, and 2710.05 of the Revised Code do apply to a mediation communication made by a person that has not received actual notice of the agreement before the communication is made.
Available Versions of this Section
- October 29, 2005 – House Bill 303 - 125th General Assembly [ View October 29, 2005 Version ]