Section 2919.171 | Physician's report to department on attempted or completed abortions.
(A)(1) A physician who performs or induces or attempts to perform or induce an abortion on a pregnant woman shall submit a report to the department of health in accordance with the forms, rules, and regulations adopted by the department that includes all of the information the physician is required to certify in writing or determine under section 2919.17, section 2919.18, divisions (A) and (C) of section 2919.192, division (C) of section 2919.193, division (B) of section 2919.195, or division (A) of section 2919.196 of the Revised Code.
(2) If a person other than the physician described in division (A)(1) of this section makes or maintains a record required by sections 2919.192 to 2919.196 of the Revised Code on the physician's behalf or at the physician's direction, that person shall comply with the reporting requirement described in division (A)(1) of this section as if the person were the physician described in that division.
(B) By September 30 of each year, the department of health shall issue a public report that provides statistics for the previous calendar year compiled from all of the reports covering that calendar year submitted to the department in accordance with this section for each of the items listed in division (A) of this section. The report shall also provide the statistics for each previous calendar year in which a report was filed with the department pursuant to this section, adjusted to reflect any additional information that a physician provides to the department in a late or corrected report. The department shall ensure that none of the information included in the report could reasonably lead to the identification of any pregnant woman upon whom an abortion is performed.
(C)(1) The physician shall submit the report described in division (A) of this section to the department of health within fifteen days after the woman is discharged. If the physician fails to submit the report more than thirty days after that fifteen-day deadline, the physician shall be subject to a late fee of five hundred dollars for each additional thirty-day period or portion of a thirty-day period the report is overdue. A physician who is required to submit to the department of health a report under division (A) of this section and who has not submitted a report or has submitted an incomplete report more than one year following the fifteen-day deadline may, in an action brought by the department of health, be directed by a court of competent jurisdiction to submit a complete report to the department of health within a period of time stated in a court order or be subject to contempt of court.
(2) If a physician fails to comply with the requirements of this section, other than filing a late report with the department of health, or fails to submit a complete report to the department of health in accordance with a court order, the physician is subject to division (B)(43) of section 4731.22 of the Revised Code.
(3) No person shall falsify any report required under this section. Whoever violates this division is guilty of abortion report falsification, a misdemeanor of the first degree.
(D) The department of health shall adopt rules pursuant to section 111.15 of the Revised Code to assist in compliance with this section.
Last updated August 4, 2023 at 11:08 AM
Available Versions of this Section
- October 20, 2011 – House Bill 78 - 129th General Assembly [ View October 20, 2011 Version ]
- April 6, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 216 - 131st General Assembly [ View April 6, 2017 Version ]
- July 11, 2019 – Amended by Senate Bill 23 - 133rd General Assembly [ View July 11, 2019 Version ]
- October 3, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 33 - 135th General Assembly [ View October 3, 2023 Version ]