Section 2967.191 | Reduction of prison term or parole eligibility date for related days of confinement.
(A) The department of rehabilitation and correction shall reduce the prison term of a prisoner, as described in division (B) of this section, by the total number of days that the prisoner was confined for any reason arising out of the offense for which the prisoner was convicted and sentenced, including confinement in lieu of bail while awaiting trial, confinement for examination to determine the prisoner's competence to stand trial or sanity, confinement while awaiting transportation to the place where the prisoner is to serve the prisoner's prison term, as determined by the sentencing court under division (B)(2)(g)(i) of section 2929.19 of the Revised Code, and confinement in a juvenile facility. The department of rehabilitation and correction also shall reduce the stated prison term of a prisoner or, if the prisoner is serving a term for which there is parole eligibility, the minimum and maximum term or the parole eligibility date of the prisoner by the total number of days, if any, that the prisoner previously served in the custody of the department of rehabilitation and correction arising out of the offense for which the prisoner was convicted and sentenced.
(B) The reductions described in division (A) of this section shall be made to the following prison terms, as applicable:
(1) The definite prison term of a prisoner serving a definite prison term as a stated prison term;
(2) The minimum and maximum term of a prisoner serving a non-life felony indefinite prison term as a stated prison term;
(3) The minimum and maximum term or the parole eligibility date of a prisoner serving a term for which there is parole eligibility.
The Legislative Service Commission presents the text of this section as a composite of the section as amended by multiple acts of the General Assembly. This presentation recognizes the principle stated in R.C. 1.52(B) that amendments are to be harmonized if reasonably capable of simultaneous operation.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 28, 2012 – Senate Bill 337, House Bill 487, 129th General Assembly [ View September 28, 2012 Version ]
- October 29, 2018 – Amended by Senate Bill 66, 132nd General Assembly [ View October 29, 2018 Version ]
- March 22, 2019 – Amended by Senate Bill 201, Senate Bill 66, 132nd General Assembly [ View March 22, 2019 Version ]