Section 329.04 | Powers and duties of department - control by county commissioners.
(A) The county department of job and family services shall have, exercise, and perform the following powers and duties:
(1) Perform any duties assigned by the state department of job and family services or department of medicaid regarding the provision of public family services, including the provision of the following services to prevent or reduce economic or personal dependency and to strengthen family life:
(a) Services authorized by a Title IV-A program, as defined in section 5101.80 of the Revised Code;
(c) If the county department is designated as the child support enforcement agency, services authorized by Title IV-D of the "Social Security Act" and provided for by Chapter 3125. of the Revised Code. The county department may perform the services itself or contract with other government entities, and, pursuant to division (C) of section 2301.35 and section 2301.42 of the Revised Code, private entities, to perform the Title IV-D services.
(d) Duties assigned under section 5162.031 of the Revised Code.
(2) Administer burials insofar as the administration of burials was, prior to September 12, 1947, imposed upon the board of county commissioners and if otherwise required by state law;
(3) Cooperate with state and federal authorities in any matter relating to family services and to act as the agent of such authorities;
(4) Submit an annual account of its work and expenses to the board of county commissioners and to the state department of job and family services and department of medicaid at the close of each fiscal year;
(5) Exercise any powers and duties relating to family services duties or workforce development activities imposed upon the county department of job and family services by law, by resolution of the board of county commissioners, or by order of the governor, when authorized by law, to meet emergencies during war or peace;
(6) Enter into a plan of cooperation with the board of county commissioners under section 307.983, consult with the board in the development of the transportation work plan developed under section 307.985, establish with the board procedures under section 307.986 for providing services to children whose families relocate frequently, and comply with the contracts the board enters into under sections 307.981 and 307.982 of the Revised Code that affect the county department;
(7) For the purpose of complying with a grant agreement the board of county commissioners enters into under sections 307.98 and 5101.21 of the Revised Code, exercise the powers and perform the duties the grant agreement assigns to the county department.
(B) The powers and duties of a county department of job and family services are, and shall be exercised and performed, under the control and direction of the board of county commissioners. The board may assign to the county department any power or duty of the board regarding family services duties and workforce development activities. If the new power or duty necessitates the state department of job and family services or department of medicaid changing its federal cost allocation plan, the county department may not implement the power or duty unless the United States department of health and human services approves the changes.
Last updated September 25, 2023 at 3:46 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2013 – House Bill 59 - 130th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2013 Version ]
- December 31, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 49 - 132nd General Assembly [ View December 31, 2017 Version ]
- January 1, 2025 – Amended by House Bill 33 - 135th General Assembly [ View January 1, 2025 Version ]