Section 3301.12 | Superintendent of public instruction - additional duties.
(A) The superintendent of public instruction in addition to the authority otherwise imposed on the superintendent, shall perform the following duties:
(1) The superintendent shall provide technical and professional assistance and advice to all school districts in reference to all aspects of education, including finance, buildings and equipment, administration, organization of school districts, curriculum and instruction, transportation of pupils, personnel problems, and the interpretation of school laws and state regulations.
(2) The superintendent shall prescribe and require the preparation and filing of such financial and other reports from school districts, officers, and employees as are necessary or proper. The superintendent shall prescribe and require the installation by school districts of such standardized reporting forms and accounting procedures as are essential to the businesslike operations of the public schools of the state.
(3) The superintendent shall conduct such studies and research projects as are necessary or desirable for the improvement of public school education in Ohio, and such as may be assigned to the superintendent by the state board of education. Such studies and projects may include analysis of data contained in the education management information system established under section 3301.0714 of the Revised Code. For any study or project that requires the analysis of individual student data, the department of education or any entity with which the superintendent or department contracts to conduct the study or project shall maintain the confidentiality of student data at all times. For this purpose, the department or contracting entity shall use the data verification code assigned pursuant to division (D)(2) of section 3301.0714 of the Revised Code for each student whose data is analyzed. Except as otherwise provided in division (D)(1) of section 3301.0714 of the Revised Code, at no time shall the superintendent, the department, the state board of education, or any entity conducting a study or research project on the superintendent's behalf have access to a student's name, address, or social security number while analyzing individual student data.
(4) The superintendent shall prepare and submit annually to the state board of education a report of the activities of the department of education and the status, problems, and needs of education in the state of Ohio.
(5) The superintendent shall supervise all agencies over which the board exercises administrative control, including schools for education of persons with disabilities.
(6) In accordance with section 3333.048 of the Revised Code, the superintendent, jointly with the chancellor of the Ohio board of regents, shall establish metrics and courses of study for institutions of higher education that prepare educators and other school personnel and shall provide for inspection of those institutions.
(B) The superintendent of public instruction may annually inspect and analyze the expenditures of each school district and make a determination as to the efficiency of each district's costs, relative to other school districts in the state, for instructional, administrative, and student support services. The superintendent shall notify each school district as to the nature of, and reasons for, the determination. The state board of education shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code setting forth the procedures and standards for the performance of the inspection and analysis.
Available Versions of this Section
- October 16, 2009 – House Bill 1, 128th General Assembly [ View October 16, 2009 Version ]