Section 3301.133 | Identifiable organizational unit of department to deal with management of education data.
As used in this section, "form" means any report, document, paper, computer software program, or other instrument used in the management information system created by section 3301.0714 of the Revised Code or used to gather required or requested education data under division (I) of section 3301.07 of the Revised Code or any other provision of state or federal statute or rule.
(A) The organization of the department of education shall include an identifiable organizational unit that deals with the management of any education data that the department gathers, processes, uses, or reports. The superintendent of public instruction shall assign employees to this unit or employ persons for this unit who are trained and experienced in data management and the design of forms and who understand the data needs of the department of education. The superintendent shall provide a sufficient number of such employees for the unit to perform its duties in an effective and timely manner.
(B) The unit established pursuant to division (A) of this section shall:
(1) Review each new form or modification of any existing form that the state board, the superintendent of public instruction, or the department of education proposes to put into use on or after July 1, 1992. In conducting the review of any form, the unit shall evaluate it utilizing at least the criteria specified under division (C) of this section. The unit shall report in writing to the superintendent of public instruction whether the form satisfies the criteria specified under division (C) of this section, and if not, the reasons why it does not. Each report shall include recommendations regarding the simplification, consolidation, or elimination of the proposed form or any other forms related to the proposed form that would enable all the criteria specified under division (C) of this section to be met.
(2) Regularly contact and seek to work with other state and federal agencies that collect and use education data for the purpose of increasing the efficiency and coordination of data collection;
(3) Perform any other duties assigned by the superintendent of public instruction.
(C) In conducting the review of any form pursuant to division (B)(1) of this section, the unit established under division (A) of this section shall determine whether the following criteria are satisfied:
(1) Each data item on the form does not duplicate data already submitted to the state board, superintendent of public instruction, or department of education.
(2) The form cannot be consolidated with any other form required by the state board, superintendent, or department.
(3) The form is required to be submitted no more often than necessary and no sooner than reasonably necessary prior to the date on which the data reported on the form will be initially used.
(4) The stated purpose of the form cannot be met as part of any other procedure, such as a verification or certification procedure or other reporting procedure.
(5) If the form or any data item on the form is attributed to any requirement of state statute, federal statute or rule, or any court, the form or data item is limited to the data that the statute, rule, or court requires.
(6) If the form or any data item on the form is attributed to the requirements of any research or of any process of auditing school districts for compliance with any requirement, the research is planned or currently taking place or the compliance is currently required.
(7) The form is designed in a way that minimizes the cost of completing it.
(8) The form includes instructions that clearly explain how to complete it, who will use the data reported on it, and whom to contact with questions about completing the form or the use of the data reported on it.