Section 3301.52 | Preschool, school child program definitions.
(A) "Preschool program" means either of the following:
(1) A child care program for preschool children that is operated by a school district board of education or an eligible nonpublic school.
(2) A child care program for preschool children age three or older that is operated by a county DD board or a community school.
(B) "Preschool child" or "child" means a child who has not entered kindergarten and is not of compulsory school age.
(C) "Parent, guardian, or custodian" means the person or government agency that is or will be responsible for a child's school attendance under section 3321.01 of the Revised Code.
(D) "Superintendent" means the superintendent of a school district or the chief administrative officer of a community school or an eligible nonpublic school.
(E) "Director" means the director, head teacher, elementary principal, or site administrator who is the individual on site and responsible for supervision of a preschool program.
(F) "Preschool staff member" means a preschool employee whose primary responsibility is care, teaching, or supervision of preschool children.
(G) "Nonteaching employee" means a preschool program or school child program employee whose primary responsibilities are duties other than care, teaching, and supervision of preschool children or school children.
(H) "Eligible nonpublic school" means a nonpublic school chartered as described in division (B)(8) of section 5104.02 of the Revised Code or chartered by the state board of education for any combination of grades one through twelve, regardless of whether it also offers kindergarten.
(I) "County DD board" means a county board of developmental disabilities.
(J) "School child program" means a child care program for only school children that is operated by a school district board of education, county DD board, community school, or eligible nonpublic school.
(K) "School child" means a child who is enrolled in or is eligible to be enrolled in a grade of kindergarten or above but is less than fifteen years old.
(L) "School child program staff member" means an employee whose primary responsibility is the care, teaching, or supervision of children in a school child program.
(M) "Child care" means administering to the needs of infants, toddlers, preschool children, and school children outside of school hours by persons other than their parents or guardians, custodians, or relatives by blood, marriage, or adoption for any part of the twenty-four-hour day in a place or residence other than a child's own home.
(N) "Child day-care center," "publicly funded child care," and "school-age child care center" have the same meanings as in section 5104.01 of the Revised Code.
(O) "Community school" means either of the following:
(1) A community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code that is sponsored by an entity that is rated "exemplary" under section 3314.016 of the Revised Code.
(2) A community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code that has received, on its most recent report card, either of the following:
(a) If the school offers any of grade levels four through twelve, a grade of "C" or better for the overall value-added progress dimension under division (C)(1)(e) of section 3302.03 of the Revised Code and for the performance index score under division (C)(1)(b) of section 3302.03 of the Revised Code;
(b) If the school does not offer a grade level higher than three, a grade of "C" or better for making progress in improving literacy in grades kindergarten through three under division (C)(1)(g) of section 3302.03 of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 24, 2012 – Senate Bill 316 - 129th General Assembly [ View September 24, 2012 Version ]
- September 29, 2015 – House Bill 64 - 131st General Assembly [ View September 29, 2015 Version ]
- October 12, 2016 – Amended by House Bill 158 - 131st General Assembly [ View October 12, 2016 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]
- September 30, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 82 - 134th General Assembly [ View September 30, 2021 Version ]