Section 3301.53 | Rules for minimum standards for preschool programs.
(A) The state board of education, in consultation with the director of job and family services, shall formulate and prescribe by rule adopted under Chapter 119. of the Revised Code minimum standards to be applied to preschool programs operated by school district boards of education, county boards of developmental disabilities, community schools, or eligible nonpublic schools. The rules shall include the following:
(1) Standards ensuring that the preschool program is located in a safe and convenient facility that accommodates the enrollment of the program, is of the quality to support the growth and development of the children according to the program objectives, and meets the requirements of section 3301.55 of the Revised Code;
(2) Standards ensuring that supervision, discipline, and programs will be administered according to established objectives and procedures;
(3) Standards ensuring that preschool staff members and nonteaching employees are recruited, employed, assigned, evaluated, and provided inservice education without discrimination on the basis of age, color, national origin, race, or sex; and that preschool staff members and nonteaching employees are assigned responsibilities in accordance with written position descriptions commensurate with their training and experience;
(4) A requirement that boards of education intending to establish a preschool program demonstrate a need for a preschool program prior to establishing the program;
(5) Requirements that children participating in preschool programs have been immunized to the extent considered appropriate by the state board to prevent the spread of communicable disease;
(6) Requirements that the parents of preschool children complete the emergency medical authorization form specified in section 3313.712 of the Revised Code.
(B) The state board of education in consultation with the director of job and family services shall ensure that the rules adopted by the state board under sections 3301.52 to 3301.58 of the Revised Code are consistent with and meet or exceed the requirements of Chapter 5104. of the Revised Code with regard to child day-care centers that serve preschool children. The state board and the director of job and family services shall review all such rules at least once every five years.
(C) The state board of education, in consultation with the director of job and family services, shall adopt rules for school child programs that are consistent with and meet or exceed the requirements of the rules adopted for child day-care centers that serve school-age children under Chapter 5104. of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 24, 2012 – Senate Bill 316, 129th General Assembly [ View September 24, 2012 Version ]
- September 29, 2015 – House Bill 64, 131st General Assembly [ View September 29, 2015 Version ]
- October 12, 2016 – Amended by House Bill 158, 131st General Assembly [ View October 12, 2016 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166, 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]