Section 3313.60 | Prescribed curriculum.
Notwithstanding division (D) of section 3311.52 of the Revised Code, divisions (A) to (E) of this section do not apply to any cooperative education school district established pursuant to divisions (A) to (C) of section 3311.52 of the Revised Code.
(A) The board of education of each city, exempted village, and local school district and the board of each cooperative education school district established, pursuant to section 3311.521 of the Revised Code, shall prescribe a curriculum for all schools under its control. Except as provided in division (E) of this section, in any such curriculum there shall be included the study of the following subjects:
(1) The language arts, including reading, writing, spelling, oral and written English, and literature;
(2) Geography, the history of the United States and of Ohio, and national, state, and local government in the United States, including a balanced presentation of the relevant contributions to society of men and women of African, Mexican, Puerto Rican, and American Indian descent as well as other ethnic and racial groups in Ohio and the United States;
(4) Natural science, including instruction in the conservation of natural resources;
(5) Health education, which shall include instruction in:
(a) The nutritive value of foods, including natural and organically produced foods, the relation of nutrition to health, and the use and effects of food additives;
(b) The harmful effects of and legal restrictions against the use of drugs of abuse, alcoholic beverages, and tobacco;
(c) Venereal disease education, except that upon written request of the student's parent or guardian, a student shall be excused from taking instruction in venereal disease education;
(d) In grades kindergarten through six, instruction in personal safety and assault prevention, except that upon written request of the student's parent or guardian, a student shall be excused from taking instruction in personal safety and assault prevention;
(e) In grades seven through twelve, age-appropriate instruction in dating violence prevention education, which shall include instruction in recognizing dating violence warning signs and characteristics of healthy relationships.
In order to assist school districts in developing a dating violence prevention education curriculum, the department of education shall provide on its web site links to free curricula addressing dating violence prevention.
If the parent or legal guardian of a student less than eighteen years of age submits to the principal of the student's school a written request to examine the dating violence prevention instruction materials used at that school, the principal, within a reasonable period of time after the request is made, shall allow the parent or guardian to examine those materials at that school.
(f) Prescription opioid abuse prevention, with an emphasis on the prescription drug epidemic and the connection between prescription opioid abuse and addiction to other drugs, such as heroin.
(6) Physical education;
(7) The fine arts, including music;
(8) First aid, including a training program in cardiopulmonary resuscitation, safety, and fire prevention, except that upon written request of the student's parent or guardian, a student shall be excused from taking instruction in cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
(B) Except as provided in division (E) of this section, every school or school district shall include in the requirements for promotion from the eighth grade to the ninth grade one year's course of study of American history. A board may waive this requirement for academically accelerated students who, in accordance with procedures adopted by the board, are able to demonstrate mastery of essential concepts and skills of the eighth grade American history course of study.
(C) As specified in divisions (B)(6) and (C)(6) of section 3313.603 of the Revised Code, except as provided in division (E) of this section, every high school shall include in the requirements for graduation from any curriculum one-half unit each of American history and government.
(D) Except as provided in division (E) of this section, basic instruction or demonstrated mastery in geography, United States history, the government of the United States, the government of the state of Ohio, local government in Ohio, the Declaration of Independence, the United States Constitution, and the Constitution of the state of Ohio shall be required before pupils may participate in courses involving the study of social problems, economics, foreign affairs, United Nations, world government, socialism, and communism.
(E) For each cooperative education school district established pursuant to section 3311.521 of the Revised Code and each city, exempted village, and local school district that has territory within such a cooperative district, the curriculum adopted pursuant to divisions (A) to (D) of this section shall only include the study of the subjects that apply to the grades operated by each such school district. The curriculums for such schools, when combined, shall provide to each student of these districts all of the subjects required under divisions (A) to (D) of this section.
(F) The board of education of any cooperative education school district established pursuant to divisions (A) to (C) of section 3311.52 of the Revised Code shall prescribe a curriculum for the subject areas and grade levels offered in any school under its control.
(G) Upon the request of any parent or legal guardian of a student, the board of education of any school district shall permit the parent or guardian to promptly examine, with respect to the parent's or guardian's own child:
(1) Any survey or questionnaire, prior to its administration to the child;
(2) Any textbook, workbook, software, video, or other instructional materials being used by the district in connection with the instruction of the child;
(3) Any completed and graded test taken or survey or questionnaire filled out by the child;
(4) Copies of the statewide academic standards and each model curriculum developed pursuant to section 3301.079 of the Revised Code, which copies shall be available at all times during school hours in each district school building.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2013 – House Bill 59, 130th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2013 Version ]
- March 23, 2015 – House Bill 367, 130th General Assembly [ View March 23, 2015 Version ]
- September 14, 2016 – Amended by House Bill 113, 131st General Assembly [ View September 14, 2016 Version ]
- April 6, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 438, 131st General Assembly [ View April 6, 2017 Version ]
- March 24, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 123, 133rd General Assembly [ View March 24, 2021 Version ]
- September 30, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 110, 134th General Assembly [ View September 30, 2021 Version ]